Ever feel like the band choose you for the wrong reasons.

WynnD

• Members

One of my current bands, they are always wanting me to play like someone I don't know. It's like they wanted that person, but got me. Not good for my self-esteem. Also, not sure what they thought they were getting. I'm not much of a surprise. (Pretty much WYSIWYG.)

• Members

Happens all the time. A band wants/needs to replace someone, but they don't want to modify what they're doing one iota to conform to the strengths and weaknesses of the guy coming in. I've been on both ends of situations where everything sounded great . . . except for one song which wasn't interpreted the way it was expected. One song! Accept the difference or drop the song! Bands don't always break up over their inability to be flexible, but it does happen . . . a lot.

• Members

If they're like the clowns I've been playing with for around two decades, it could be all about getting back to square one. When we get a new key player, there's nothing worse than having to relearn Mustang Sally and Old Time Rock and Roll. Again. For the umpteenth time.

• Members
If they're like the clowns I've been playing with for around two decades' date=' it could be all about getting back to square one. When we get a new key player, there's nothing worse than having to relearn Mustang Sally and Old Time Rock and Roll. Again. For the umpteenth time.[/quote']

True that. Sometimes when you're the new guy, you have to relearn songs in the keys the band plays them in rather than expecting the whole band to relearn to keys you use.

(There must be a transpose button)

• Members

Mustang Sally!?

You're kidding, right! That is, unless you join a band where the leader really wants it to sound like the studio version as much as possible. You should understand what the standards are going to be going in, and you either accept his creds - given that he toured with Pickett back in the 80s - or you don't.

For openers, there are two guitar parts.

And it also assumes you understand what a back beat is. White guys under 60 aren't likely to have cut their teeth on a repertoire where that was the dominant beat.

• Members

If the band has a set formula and sound and expect someone to come in and just fill the position, then they should hire someone with the ability to do that. Hired gun-type situations will obviously roll like this.

Otherwise, a band is the sum of the parts and you should expect AND WANT it to sound different when you make membership changes. The goal should be to get the best out of the membership you have. And if that means you don't play this or that song anymore? So be it. Play THIS song instead that the new player really excels at playing. You're playing covers, right? Are there any covers so precious to a band that they MUST be played?

• Members

Well I got a don't worry about the gig, lets just have fun. Text message. That helps, but there is too much stress for this gig. It's the first time out and apparently I won't be perfect. (Is anyone?) As far as how long this group has been on the back burner? My first contact was almost 2 years ago. Than a long gap with no rehearsals, then about mid summer last year, the band started rehearsing, then we lost some critical personal and the band stopped rehearsing, then we got a new singer and rehearsed for a while, then not, than more, then they left and we didn't have any rehearsals until we got new singers. Now we have two. The whole thing has been a on-again, off-again thing. Looks like it might actually fly tomorrow. We shall see.

• Members

My darling Wife of 35 years has in the past told me to play nice with my friends. This time She's suggesting that I'm worth more than I'm being given credit for and should consider finding a friendlier place to be. Not really sure if only one person is the problem or if there are more. (Only one has been verbal about it. It's a 6 person band, so it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.) Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. It helps.

• Members

2 times I have been asked to play like someone else, one time was an audition and another was in the formation stage of a band that never fully formed. Both times I declined. If they wanted you to play differently they should have told you that right off the bat, not several months in.

• Members

I recently parted ways with a brand new band for a few reasons, but playing style was one of them. All really nice guys and good musicians, but I'm very much so into energy, groove, and being technically able to do some cool stuff as a drummer while keeping things accessible. They want to go very much so into a "slow, almost doom groove" scenario. And that just puts me to sleep.

So we had some great high-energy jams, but I got an e-mail about Chevelle and stuff and was like "soooooo why did you want me?" Again, no harm and no foul, but sometimes it makes you wonder...

Archived