Less People = Less money?

jeff42

• Members

My current band started as a trio, drums, bass guitar with the bassist singing 80% and the guitar player singing 20%. last year we added a bassist and our original bassist became our front man. He left at the end of july and we couldnt find a suitable replacement frontman in time so we just continued on as a trio with our guitar player handling most of the lead vocals with me and the bassist doing the rest. We are auditioning singers because our guitar player wants to go back to singing less and we are more comfortable as a 4 man band.

Recently a bar owner told me since we are less people now he is going to pay us less, even though we have played there 3x now since our singer left and our crowd has not diminished. Last time we were there was the best crowd we have had in awhile there. I told him he's paying for the BAND and we are not paid per person.

Really if he wants to pay us by the person... I'll add a my girlfriend... she can play cowbell. LOL

• Members
My current band started as a trio, drums, bass guitar with the bassist singing 80% and the guitar player singing 20%. last year we added a bassist and our original bassist became our front man. He left at the end of july and we couldnt find a suitable replacement frontman in time so we just continued on as a trio with our guitar player handling most of the lead vocals with me and the bassist doing the rest. We are auditioning singers because our guitar player wants to go back to singing less and we are more comfortable as a 4 man band.

Recently a bar owner told me since we are less people now he is going to pay us less, even though we have played there 3x now since our singer left and our crowd has not diminished. Last time we were there was the best crowd we have had in awhile there. I told him he's paying for the BAND and we are not paid per person.

Really if he wants to pay us by the person... I'll add a my girlfriend... she can play cowbell. LOL

Do that.

Or ask him if you'd get more if you became a 5 piece? I'm guessing he'd say no.

• Members

Some bar owners think they are hiring individual contractors rather than a product. Since we *are* a five piece, I try to use this to my advantage during wage negotiations. Some owners are comfortable with a quote like, "a hundred bucks a head - $500" and others are like "We pay $250, doesn't matter if you bring 17 people".

In your case, since you have an established track record, I just think the guy is being cheap.

You should try to buy some scotch for the same price per ounce as a beer. See what he thinks about that. ;)

Wes

• Members

LOL... well if that were the case (we have 6 performers 4 crew) then we should be earning more.

ANY time a bar owner has told me that they have expenses to consider I point to the stage, our trailer and PA/lighting set up and explain "yes, I understand... we have expenses too."

• Members

Maybe try to explain to him that yes--you are, for the time being anyway--now a 3 piece. But in order to deliver the same level of quality and entertainment to the audience (which is clearly evident by the response and results) it takes more work from each of you. He isn't getting shorted in any way, and you're all working extra hard to make sure of this.

Probably won't work, but what the hell....

• Members

That sucks. Hopefully you can work it out. We have our price. Most times we are a 5 piece. When we have to do it as a 4 piece we still charge the same and everyone gets a bit more.

We DID change the "5 Piece Classic Rock & Country Band" to "Classic Rock & Country Band"

• Members

We have been playing this place for awhile now... and what I dont get is for about the first year or so that we played this place we WERE a trio and when we became a 4 piece we didnt get a bump up in pay.I guess he forgot about that. HA!

• Members

Oh it's this crap again eh? Put a stop to it right away. You're a product and get paid as such NOT per person....Christ....This is why I have no stomach for bars anymore. Gutter gigs with gutter dwellers who think we should kiss their arses and be grateful they "let" us play....

• Members

The night I was told this was also the last night we had scheduled there. He wanted to book more but I told him I had to wait to see what's available. (which was true)

We have unanimously decided we are not going back. The place was great when they had a bar manager that wasnt family but once they fired that guy and the family started dealing directly with the entertainment THATS when the crap started and its just been getting more annoying every time. This was it though. The pay wasn't great to begin with so this settles it. Even when we do hire a 4th member (we have 2 auditions this week) we are not going back.

Archived