Anyone tried the Bison digital music stand? Or wait for the iPad Pro?

UlfHansson

• Members

Not sure if this is the right category, but I'll give it a shot. Please remove if not appropriate.

After using "ordinary" tablets in 8", 10" and latest 12.5" sizes I have started checking out some even larger Android alternatives for an orchestra project. The largest Hannspree seems still to small at 13.3", as we want two pages (portrait) side by side.

The Bison Digital stand (http://bison-music.com/music-stands/music-stand-digital/) seems to use a HP 21" Slate. Have anyone tried this?

Or any other alternatives in similar size?

Or should I just wait for the iPad Pro, rumored to be announced (released?) in September. But what size will that be?

Discuss!

• Members
If you're looking at something that big, why not just a normal $30 music stand? The advantage of an iPad or iPad mini is being less obtrusive. But at that size might as well just use a normal one.

There's also the advantage of not dealing with paper, the iPad being able to scroll, sports score updates, etc.

• Members

There's also the advantage of not dealing with paper, the iPad being able to scroll, sports score updates, etc.

I suspect he meant using an iPad with a non-purpose-designed stand. Just getting one ye olde black metal stands and resting an iPad on it.

Definitely has the advantage of being a standardized part (both on the part of the stand and the iPad), for easy replacement in case of either breaking.

• Members

I suspect he meant using an iPad with a non-purpose-designed stand. Just getting one ye olde black metal stands and resting an iPad on it.

No, he was talking about using the Bison digital music stand, which is a 21" tablet specially designed to look like a music stand vs waiting for the iPad Pro to come out, which isn't nearly as big.

But if we're talking about putting your tablet on something----Yeah, I'd go with a specialized stand. A) they look much cooler; hi-tech B) less risk of some drunk knocking your expensive tablet off.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

After mailing Bison I decided to check out some other large (Android) tablets. There will be some new stands/holders for these, supposedly pro looking. As I'm going to NAMM in January I'll check the alternatives out there.

My Samsung will do for now.

• Members

And they're great for using in dark places. And also, you can put tons of music in them without breaking your back when carrying them. I use an ipad mini for my chord charts. If I was using sheet music, I'd be looking at the large ipad coming. I've also got a digital mixer that REQUIRES the use of an ipad, so I'm locked in with Apple products.

Archived