Possible 5 piece band forming. Need help buying mixer

chord123

• Members

I am a electric guitarist have been jamming and learning a few rock songs with John another electric guitar player. We are trying to start a band. We need a drummer,bass player and singer to complete the band. John is 58 years old and never had success starting a band We are both electric guitar players and pretty inexperienced when it comes to playing in bands. We play classic rock CCR,Stones etc.. We like the same songs both want to get out and play gigs both have daytime jobs. . John says a drummer out of high school is going audition for our us in early July. John never been a band. I just came from a band so I have 4 months experience with a rock band. Stonehenge my old band had an old school Yamaha mixer.for gigs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171099763014?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. My question do we buy a analog or digital mixer ? What are the advantages having a digital mixer. What kind of effects should we look for in the mixer? Do we need just spring reverb.?Who makes good mixers? Can you point out a specific brand or model of mixer? What is the best way to test a mixer? Used or new? We kind of want start shopping for mixers and get a good used one. We hope to play smaller bars some day but we are long ways from that cause we don't have a bass player,singer or drummer yet. We decided we will play open mic nights soon. We want to take this band out of the garage and play in public. Eventually we will need monitors to and probably PA system. In what order do we purchase these items?

• Members

Budget is $1000. Will be purchasing 2 main FOH speakers and mixer and speaker stands stands. Don't need any monitors at this point. Will be using speaker and mixer for rehearsal at this point.

I can get a RCF ART 312 A MK III Active Two-Way Speaker 312A MKIII MK3 PROAUDIOSTAR for $420 on ebay with free shipping. Customer return in MINT condition with all original packaging” I am thinking of pulling the trigger and buying it. Is the price right?

• Members
Budget is $1000. Will be purchasing 2 main FOH speakers and mixer and speaker stands stands. Don't need any monitors at this point. Will be using speaker and mixer for rehearsal at this point.

I can get a RCF ART 312 A MK III Active Two-Way Speaker 312A MKIII MK3 PROAUDIOSTAR for $420 on ebay with free shipping. Customer return in MINT condition with all original packaging” I am thinking of pulling the trigger and buying it. Is the price right?

I have no experience with this particular speaker, but if I were you & had your budget I'd look into a powered mixer (used Yamaha, Mackie, Peavey's could be had all day in the $300-400 price range), a couple of pole mounts & 3 unpowered monitors (you can use the pole mounts as mains for 2 of them). Well within your budget for everything.

2 powered speakers will eat up your budget quickly imo... If the band works out you can always get powered speakers later & use the monitors as monitors. If not, you should be able to sell the stuff you bought for pretty much what you paid for it.

• Members

I just bought 2 Mackie SRM 450 powered speakers and a Mackie Profx 12 mixer with 6xlr inputs for a total of $865. These are the older, more expensive SRM 450s. You can get new, leftover stock of last years's mixer for $199 right now. BTW these would be overkill for practice unless you are practicing in a really big room at a really loud volume.

• Members

I personally recommend a pair of powered speakers and a 4-8 channel mixer. You really only need it for vocals in rehearsal and small gigs. For "real" gigs it's actually cheaper and better (and otherwise less of a PITA) to hire sound and lights.

My "small" PA is a pair of Behringer B208D's that we put behind us, driven from a Yamaha MG82CX mixer. Actually works fine for lower volume gigs like backyard parties :)

Archived