Anyone know what's going on at Harmony Central?

David Himes

• CMS Author

Anyone know what's going on at Harmony Central? Word has it everyone there either quit or got the boot. Nobody seems to know what's going on, nobody knows any new contacts, nobody is replying.

Is HC under new ownership? Is it folding?

Alll I want to know is if my column ('The Gig Kahuna') will still have a home. Someone out there has to know something. Show me a sign! :)

• Members

Site is in Beta Testing Transition Phase 4.3. Or Season Six, Episode Nine, depending on how you like to count such things.

Apparently there is still some attention being paid to the site by the ownership, so they must have some sort of future plan for it. But not sure if anyone really knows what those plans are at this point. Seems they are being tight-lipped about certain things, or maybe they just don't really know. They laid off everyone on the payroll who wasn't working In House, but someone In House must still be Your Boss.

The attitude among the members is that the site will be here until it isn't. We're all hoping for the best but after 4 years of promises of a better future and seeing little more than a constant downward spiral (at least in forum participation), it is getting harder and harder to remain optimistic. The reports of GC's possible demise doesn't help to gender too much Good Feeling either.

Don't talk about the site itself too much though. They'll delete your thread or move it the "Rants" section.

• Members

I don't know how long it's been going on...but for at least past couple weeks, the forums have been unreachable pretty much every morning until 7-8 AM Eastern time. The HC homepage still works, but the forums just time out. I assume they're implementing upgrades or doing some sort of daily maintenance....but it's unusual for the forums to be down entirely on such a consistent basis.

• CMS Author
Site is in Beta Testing Transition Phase 4.3. Or Season Six, Episode Nine, depending on how you like to count such things.

Apparently there is still some attention being paid to the site by the ownership, so they must have some sort of future plan for it. But not sure if anyone really knows what those plans are at this point. Seems they are being tight-lipped about certain things, or maybe they just don't really know. They laid off everyone on the payroll who wasn't working In House, but someone In House must still be Your Boss.

The attitude among the members is that the site will be here until it isn't. We're all hoping for the best but after 4 years of promises of a better future and seeing little more than a constant downward spiral (at least in forum participation), it is getting harder and harder to remain optimistic. The reports of GC's possible demise doesn't help to gender too much Good Feeling either.

Don't talk about the site itself too much though. They'll delete your thread or move it the "Rants" section.

I'm not ranting. Like the other contributing writers, I don't see how it can be too much to ask for someone to at least let us know if we should start seeking a new home.

• Members

I'm not ranting. Like the other contributing writers, I don't see how it can be too much to ask for someone to at least let us know if we should start seeking a new home.

I agree. Just letting you know that the Powers That Be have made it clear that they don't want any negative comments about the forum in the forum.

They think WE'RE the reason there are no newbies hanging around... :facepalm:

• Members

I agree. Just letting you know that the Powers That Be have made it clear that they don't want any negative comments about the forum in the forum.

They think WE'RE the reason there are no newbies hanging around... :facepalm:

"The powers that be" destroyed this forum. It's soooooooooooo beyond repair it needs to just be obliterated and a fresh install of "whatever will work, giving basic functionality with little to no maintenance" versus "the flavor of the week" software/technology. This is not hard! If the history can be saved, great, save it in an archive, if it can't then screw it, nuke it all.

• Members
I don't think there's really anything to "fix" in the forums anymore. Everything works. Pages refresh quickly' date=' posts go up quickly. If people want to talk I think this forum works just fine now. Not sure why everyone is holding such a grudge.[/quote']

Sure, except for the two most important things a forum needs:

1 - You can't edit in the box you're typing in the majority of the time. If you try and go back into text you've typed, nearly always it pops the cursor to the end of your entry instead of where you put it. This means you have to copy what you've typed, paste it into an email or word processing program then paste it back here when you're done

2 - Alerting you when someone has posted a response to a thread you've participated in. Unless you are the originator of the thread you get no notice. This absolutely KILLS participation and is the nail in this dysfunctional coffin. You have to track yourself what threads you're participating in and manually check the forum for replies. This is "beyond words" ridiculous.

• Members
Hadn't noticed this. Tried both the Advanced editor and the Write Something box. Erases' date=' rewrites just fine. What are you using?[/quote']

2 different windows 8 PC's and 2 different macs. It's a well documented issue. The other work around is to submit your entry then go back in and edit. Usually this works. It's doing it right now as I type this. I went back and tried to change "windows 8" to "windows 8.1" and it wouldn't let me type the .1 where I wanted to. - I'm using Chrome

• Members

1 - You can't edit in the box you're typing in the majority of the time. If you try and go back into text you've typed, nearly always it pops the cursor to the end of your entry instead of where you put it. This means you have to copy what you've typed, paste it into an email or word processing program then paste it back here when you're done

Oh yeah. You're right about that. That's been frustrating.

Archived