"Uptown Funk": who is covering this song?

New Trail

• Members

Funny....I was thinking of post this same thread today! We're working it up tomorrow. Funny how a "retro" sounding hit gets all us old dudes excited, huh?

We're going to be tossing in some bits of "Jungle Love" and "Oops Upside The Head" in the middle of this too.

I'll let you know how it goes over, but I suspect it will work well with our crowds. A new hit the kids will dig but the old groove should appeal to the older folks as well as it does with me.

• Members

I jammed on this Wednesday night with two buddies and it was killer - just vocals, guitar, bass, and drums. With the right panacea and arrangement, you can make anything a hit - on top of that, it was hella fun to groove deep on.

• Members

There's not that much to the meat of the song beyond the killer groove, so I don't think the instrumentation is crucial. The horn parts are great and it's got that big ol' over-modulated Prince-ish synth patch, but they aren't crucial to the performance for bands that don't have those things.

I think a lot of bands will be doing this one this year. I hope the crowds dig it as much as had fun working it up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Played the song for the first time Saturday night for a corporate event with a 20-70 type age group. One of those gigs where nobody is dancing much at all during the first set as they are all settling into mixing and having a couple of drinks after dinner. Played it towards the end of the first set and it was our only song during that set to pack the dance floor.

We mashed up a couple of verses and chorus of "Jungle Love" over the breakdown section, and that went over really well too. Fun song to play, for sure!

• Members

Our band gave this a try this past weekend too. It's not really our style but I guess the beer got to us at practice and we decided it was a good idea :)

Here's a clip:

[YOUTUBE]QeVUvwC-FEg[/YOUTUBE]

Sometimes you just have to go where the beer takes you! I'm impressed. I'm not familiar enough with the original to tell what is missing (other than horns of course) but I like it. I guess it draws some RHCP's comparisons?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sometimes you just have to go where the beer takes you! I'm impressed. I'm not familiar enough with the original to tell what is missing (other than horns of course) but I like it. I guess it draws some RHCP's comparisons?

Thanks! It was more in fun than being serious, and because of bad weather the gig was poorly attended, which is when we get more experimental...ha ha. But it is a fun song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Guido (and any other keyboardists out there) does your band play this? Mind if I ask how you do the ascending keyboards in the part that goes:

'Cause uptown funk gon' give it to you

Saturday night and we in the spot

Don't believe me just watch (come on)

I have a Yamaha MX49 but I'm a guitarist. Just wondering if I wanted to overlay that part how would you do it, because there doesn't seem to be a patch that does that.

Archived