Pete Cornish

• Members

give me a break...

who the hell has that kind of money to blow on the simple gadgets pete builds?

mario = great products and good prices

pete = simple products and f*cking ridiculous prices

sorry...i just don't like this kind of "man behind the curtain", "i work for the stars" attitude.

another thing: he's talking about phase inversion when using multiple amps. here you go: "The simplest way to correct this is to reverse the loudspeaker wiring of the affected amp and we recommend that fully qualified technicians only should undertake this modification. Alternatively, specially wired output cables are available which will reverse the phase of outputs 2 and 3. Please contact us if you wish to purchase these."

fully qualified my ass...anything with opposable thumbs can rewire a cab. i really love the "specially wired output cables"...it sounds like pete is less interested in helping you out than he is in making a buck off you.

jeez...:rolleyes:

-jim

• Members

well, lonnie, you know i respect your opinion about gear and builders, but i just don't see how he can get away with charging 600 bucks for a fuzz pedal, splitter box, etc. when you can get the same things from mario or any other manufacturer of any significant quality.

you have to admit, his prices reflect his clientel to a certain extent.

he works for the pros and he charges accordingly.

sure you can mess some {censored} up pretty bad, but it's your own damn fault if you {censored} it up. do your homework and recognize your limitations...we're not all electrical engineers and we're not all equally competent as far as electronics go. i sure as hell wouldn't try to repair my eventide, but if my cab needs to be rewired, i'm gonna do that stuff myself.

-jim

• Members

well, i'll take your word for that. can you say exactly what it is that differs or is it specific to each device? i was wondering if it's just spotless workmanship, high-grade parts, or some magic resistor value that transforms an ordinary splitter box into the high-fidelity no-more-ground-problems-ever splitter box?

by the way, can you patent a schematic?

-jim

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Remember, Cornish is charging for a service. If you want to do these things--however simple you think they are--on your own, then do so. Pete is simply answering a call from customers. Many of whom want him not only to build rigs, but also to fix the simple problems too. However, time is money and his time is worth more than many because he IS able to do many things that many techs and engineers don't do or don't do well. Therefore, whether he is doing something simple or something complex, you still have to pay for the time. Think of it this way. Most people couldn't rebuild their own transmission on their car. However, most people could change their own oil. If you go to a mechanic to have it done, though, you're going to pay the same in labor hour by hour. That is why Pete's stuff is pricy. He could make 370 pounds a day working for Gilmour wiring a huge switching system, or for you, wiring a simple splitter circuit. I own several Cornish pedals. I myself wouldn't buy a simple spiltter from him because I, being an electronics technician, have enough knowledge to make one that would probably be just about as good. It is time consuming to do a good job, however, so I don't fault him for what he charges to do it. Judging by the performance of the SS-2, the G-2, and the P-2 that I own, however, I would have to say that he can charge whatever he wants. His equipment is incredible. His pedals sound amazing--especially the SS-2, for which there simply is no substitute. It has a unique tone that I have never found anywhere else. Nothing even comes close to it. When it comes to splitters, etc, though, I could understand someone not wanting to buy from him. However, he does do more than just make simple mechanical switched splitters. There is RF rejection, etc. in them.

• Members

Cornish is cool. I just don't don't got the bling-bling of rap soopa-staar, so I just go elsewhere. Plus for rack stuff and getting rid of noise... it should be DIY. I'd hope that you care about your tone the MOST and would put in the MOST and BEST effort to get it up and running as you have invisioned.

• Members

I do a lot of DIY stuff with my rig. Part of what is cool about Pete--and what makes his stuff worth the money--is that he will give you all kinds of technical tips on how to tweek your equipment for optimum performance. He doesn't charge a consulting fee or anything. He does it because you've bought one of his pedals. He is really a great guy.

• Members

I remember seeing him in Guitar World in like 1983 or 84. It was a pretty huge article. It made an impression on me for sure. The article had all the pics of Gilmour's, May's, K. K. Downing and a few other dudes and Cornish's background. People sometimes bash him...:( ... no idea why. He is the James Brown of rack gear... the godfather of gizoms! I'm sure Cornish was an influence on Bradshaw and other who got into the biz because it is a good living and cool work.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Pete Cornish has astronomical pricing-but his products are kinda neat.He'll build custom devices like Bob Bradshaw-but remember he's in Englad so its a parts cost/shipping/different exchange rate on what he makes and sends here.

Yeah the *super secret mumbo jumbo* surrounding his stuff is a bit of hype and "man behind the curtain" as well as some mystique thrown in for good measure.His products arent any better than CAE/Bradshaw or the other companys out there.

Individual build designs,custom configurations and oddity in producing one off units can become costly.He's not outsourcing his electronic parts at radio Shack.But his pricing is somewhat silly (i'll agree to that for sure).

Personally My CAE/Bradshaw Systems work better,are worlds more versatile, and sound more transparent than the Cornish systems I've seen played thru and tried in Nashville late last year.

The speaker wiring/cab configuration line was a real laugh

:D

Buy American....you'll be glad you did:)

• Members

Originally posted by michael_smurphy

I have a lot of Petes stuff, and the only ones who bitch about his gear are the ones who cant afford it... go figure !!!

Yes, but come on. I love FX, more than alot of things in this world. But to pay $600 for a pedal, you really have to be a High-Rise Business Exec. making over $100,000 a year, and even then, the question would still remain, is this really worth it. Yes, it was used by Gilmour and others. But I am not beochin' becuase I can't afford it, my rig is well over that, but just the principle behind it seems.........snobby! I've never heard these pedals except on Albums, but my man Trey uses 2 TS-9/808/Silver Pedals and his tone is brilliant! So it's not all about the cost of a pedal, that makes you a Rock Star. I can probably use a good Face Fuzz Pedal, and do the same exact thing you do, with your $600 pedal. I am not attacking you, but you kinda attacked those of us, who work hard for a living, and when we get enough money to buy another pedal, it's a good feeling. I just don't think that for a Fuzz pedal $600 is cool, just because David Gilmour, whom I love like no other used it. {censored}, look what Jimi used, or some other greats, that didn't have the selection of today. So don't comment on those who can't afford it, I have other things to spend my Hard Worked money on then a $600 pedal, unless that pedal comes with a Contract, Groupies, and the rest of it! Watch the attacks!

• Members

Originally posted by tmd187

Yes, but come on. I love FX, more than alot of things in this world. But to pay $600 for a pedal, you really have to be a High-Rise Business Exec. making over $100,000 a year, and even then, the question would still remain, is this really worth it. Yes, it was used by Gilmour and others. But I am not beochin' becuase I can't afford it, my rig is well over that, but just the principle behind it seems.........snobby! I've never heard these pedals except on Albums, but my man Trey uses 2 TS-9/808/Silver Pedals and his tone is brilliant! So it's not all about the cost of a pedal, that makes you a Rock Star. I can probably use a good Face Fuzz Pedal, and do the same exact thing you do, with your $600 pedal. I am not attacking you, but you kinda attacked those of us, who work hard for a living, and when we get enough money to buy another pedal, it's a good feeling. I just don't think that for a Fuzz pedal $600 is cool, just because David Gilmour, whom I love like no other used it. {censored}, look what Jimi used, or some other greats, that didn't have the selection of today. So don't comment on those who can't afford it, I have other things to spend my Hard Worked money on then a $600 pedal, unless that pedal comes with a Contract, Groupies, and the rest of it! Watch the attacks!

I agree with you on the monetary part of :NO pedal is worth $600

and Cornish's prices are to damn high when theres great systems made by Bradshaw,Mark Snyder and others right here in the USA.I'd spring for an Axcess system before dumping dougheeny on anything made by pete Cornish(as good as they may or may not be).Again brand loyalty is cool-and the British rockstars like Gilmour and others are in Cornish's backyard so they save $$$$$ but Gilmour and MANY Countless other british Rock stars(signed touring ones) use Bradshaw & Axcess more than Cornish.

While Cornish may make some interesting items,I'm totally satisfied with ALL My CAE/Bradshaw stuff-and I dont even own(or need) a Fuzz pedal,let alone a $600 one made across the pond.

• Members

In my studio rack I use some of Bobs gear... and have owned a lot so I guess I can comment...

Buy American is cool if you are an American and if his material is not made in Japan by his affiliated company......

But consider also Mario's stuff from Canada at Axess Electronics, and Steens stuff from Denmark at Skrydstrup R&E..

As for Pete's gear.... well to me it speaks for itself.. its not what tones you hear but the lack of noise you dont hear whith to me is the coolest part.

No mumbo jumbo he pretty much tells you in B+W on his website what he does..

I have had the chance to play through a couple of his systems, some of which Bob doesnt make so its hard to be 100% fair as Bob makes or has made for him off the shelf solutions, and Pete makes customised solutions himself ... thus the price tags..

Cheers

MS

Originally posted by H2Shredder

Pete Cornish has astronomical pricing-but his products are kinda neat.

He'll build custom devices like Bob Bradshaw-but remember he's in Englad so its a parts cost/shipping/different exchange rate on what he makes and sends here.

Yeah the *super secret mumbo jumbo* surrounding his stuff is a bit of hype and "man behind the curtain" as well as some mystique thrown in for good measure.

His products arent any better than CAE/Bradshaw or the other companys out there.

Individual build designs, custom configurations and oddity in producing one off units can become costly.

He's not outsourcing his electronic parts at radio Shack.

But his pricing is somewhat silly (i'll agree to that for sure).

Personally My CAE/Bradshaw Systems work better,are worlds more versatile, and sound more transparent than the Cornish systems I've seen played thru and tried in Nashville late last year.

The speaker wiring/cab configuration line was a real laugh

:D
Buy American....you'll be glad you did:)

Archived