Soldano X88R preamp vs CAE 3+/3+SE

• Members

Hey hey!

I just wanna ask you guys what ya think og these preamps and how they differ, for those of you who have tried both.. I know that this all depends on speakers and poweramps, tubes and guitars played and so forth.. but anyway anyone?

By the way, I`ve got one (Soldano X88R), and I`ve modified the lead channel by removing a capacitor by the gainpot (after advise from J.Suhr) since i thought the original leadsound was a bit too "fizzy". Now I LOVE the sounds from this pre. with Mullards 12ax7 in the first two positions. Mmmm...

Ron

• Members

Well, I wrote to John Suhr and asked for a mod of the lead channel, since I personally like a more full sounding, warm, singing leadtone (like the CAE 3+se). He personally agreed on my opinion of the channel beeing i bit too "fizzy". He reccomended to remove the small capacitor sitting accross the gainpot on the actual channel, or to put in a capacitor with a different value if the difference was TOO much. I can paste in the answer I got from John in this thread when I get home.. The mod doesnt make the sound more bassy. but I think the tonecontrols reacts more now, and the sound is not so "forward" in the "fissy" treble area..

This is all I wanted to make my X88R complete for my musicstyle wich is pop/rock/progrock.

Ron

• Members

Originally posted by gearman

Well, I wrote to John Suhr and asked for a mod of the lead channel, since I personally like a more full sounding, warm, singing leadtone (like the CAE 3+se). He personally agreed on my opinion of the channel beeing i bit too "fizzy". He reccomended to remove the small capacitor sitting accross the gainpot on the actual channel, or to put in a capacitor with a different value if the difference was TOO much. I can paste in the answer I got from John in this thread when I get home.. The mod doesnt make the sound more bassy. but I think the tonecontrols reacts more now, and the sound is not so "forward" in the "fissy" treble area..

This is all I wanted to make my X88R complete for my musicstyle wich is pop/rock/progrock.

Ron

Could you post those mods here and explain in details how it affects the tone ?? I own a X99 and may be interested in trying those to see if I like it... Thanks in advance...

• Members

Hi folks..here are the q&a a refered to.

Hi John!

I deeply love and respect your work on guitars and amps.

Here is my questions:

I own a Soldano X88R preamp which I really like.. I use the best of tubes selected by trial and error (Mullard NOS,) and equipment to get the best of tones: Mesa 20/20 poweramp, tc-electronics G-major effects proc. 1936 2x12

Archived