JMP-1 clean tones

• Members

Who likes the JMP-1 clean tones? I may decide to get one, since there's so little choice in the UK secondhand market. I know it won't do Fender-style cleans, but I'd like to know if you JMP-1 owners just use these preamps as rock machines or whether clean sounds are important to your music also. Thanks.

• Members

IMHO, the JMP-1's clean tones are pretty mediocre at best. There are 2 clean channels: Clean1 is supposed to be warm, clear, and Fendery with lots of headroom. I find it to be pretty dull and lifeless, although it stays clean up until about 15 on the gain control. I found I used this channel the least of the 4 channels on the JMP-1.

I prefer the Clean2 channel...it has a more glassy British vibe, and can get fairly gritty if you crank the gain up all the way. Works best with single-coil pickups. I wish it had even a little more gain cause it is just not enough for SRV-style blues stuff.

I still have my JMP-1, mainly because I love the OD1 channel...it gets a wide variety of classic Marshall sounds and is especially good at JCM-800 stuff. The OD2 channel is more like a JCM-900, and it gets a little too scratchy, compressed, and noisy for my liking.

You know one thing you might consider is using a JMP-1 for Marshall distortion sounds and adding something like a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp or Formula preamp for clean sounds. Switch between the two of them using the DMC GCX. These pre's are all pretty cheap used and not hard to find. It will get a nice mix of Boogie and Marshall tones. This was actually my setup before I found my Egnater IE4.

• Members

Originally posted by Beagle1

You know one thing you might consider is using a JMP-1 for Marshall distortion sounds and adding something like a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp

Haha! Believe it or not, this was exactly what I had in mind! :D

Interesting to note your preference for the IE4, however. Is it really that much better than your old rig? Unfortunately I've not had a chance to hear the IE4. Would you say it sounds better than the TOL100? I was interested in one myself, but decided in the end that the hassle of finding one of the above at a decent price and then trying to bring one into the UK probably isn't worth it. (The same goes for the RM4 in my Wanted list.)

I don't suppose I could cajole you into posting some clips? :D;)

• Members

This will depend a little on what else you have in the chain before the preamp and what kind of guitar you play. I have been using a JMP-1 for about 2 years now and I have been happy with the cleans. I use it for clean tones from my PRS, my acoustic 12-string and even a banjo! It does not distort or anything for me. I did replace the stock tubes with JJ's prior to using it in this setup though. No, it will not do the fender clean thing, but then again not many amps will except for the Fenders themselves.

• Members

I like the clean on my JMP, I don't love it, but with a little lovin and reverb from my G-Major, I must the cleans sound pretty damn good. But then again, I'm in an emo band so what do i know about tone :D .

Btw Mshifflet........ Do JJ's really make a huge difference in the JMP? cuz ive been thinking of doing that since i got it.

• Members

Originally posted by Ska_o_Matic

Btw Mshifflet........ Do JJ's really make a huge difference in the JMP? cuz ive been thinking of doing that since i got it.

It is well worth the time and money to do it. They take a little of that harshness out of the overall tone and smooth it out quite a bit. No noise or anything. I like them so much that I put them in my Mesa Quad and Mesa 20/20.

• Members

Originally posted by mshifflett

It is well worth the time and money to do it. They take a little of that harshness out of the overall tone and smooth it out quite a bit. No noise or anything. I like them so much that I put them in my Mesa Quad and Mesa 20/20.

yeah the first thing i wanted to do when i got my 20/20 was to put some jj's in it.

I guess I will when i get some money.

How much am i lookin at to get bot retubed?

• Members

Originally posted by Ska_o_Matic

yeah the first thing i wanted to do when i got my 20/20 was to put some jj's in it.

I guess I will when i get some money.

How much am i lookin at to get bot retubed?

Should be around $85 for the 20/20 and about $15-$18 for the JMP-1. Those figures should be pretty close anyway.

Archived