ADA MP-1 vs. MP-2

• Members

I've been thinking about getting an mp-1, but I have recently heard about the mp-2. I mostly hear about artists like metallica, smashing pumpkins, and testament using the mp-1, not mp-2. Which is better and why?

Note: I like some dirty rythm guitar, but I'm a lead kind of {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by Lockjaw

I've been thinking about getting an mp-1, but I have recently heard about the mp-2. I mostly hear about artists like metallica, smashing pumpkins, and testament using the mp-1, not mp-2. Which is better and why?

Note: I like some dirty rythm guitar, but I'm a lead kind of {censored}.

In my opinion after having borrowed my friend's MP-2 and having own 2 MP-1s, I'd still go with the MP-1. Why you ask??

Well, Let me start by saying that are 2 different preamps, sure they are made by ADA, but they are different. The MP-1 has the less functions but thats what makes it sounding good.

The MP-2 has its own sound, but it kinda has that little nasal/digital sound and I wasnt the only one who has experienced that. the MP-2 has alot more functions then the MP-2 and has 7 more vocings then the MP-1, but havint he MP-2's iner signal going through sooo much, which makes it sound like that.

It has tons and tons of gain more then the MP-1, but I really dont find the use of that much gain.

Each one of those artists you mentioned, use the ADA MP-1 with different equipment. Testament's Alex Sckolnick used His MP-1 with a whole bunch of rack effects, eqs, Eventide Harmonizer(s) and then through a JCM900 head (6L6s).

Metallica used their ADA MP-1s with Marshalls, Mesa Boogies and VHTs, also used eqs, effects, etc..

Smashing Pumpkin's Billy Corgan as I know used the MP-1 through a Mesa Strategy 500 poweramp.

I my self over all these artists, prefer the Alex Sckolnick Soul of Black & The Ritual. Both albums had MP-1 used through it and just sounds awsome. On the other hand, Kirk Hammet used the MP-1 with a Tube Screamer and used the MP-1 on low gain setting.

Also.. If you want a really chucky heavy sound for Heavy Metal thats clear and heavy at the same time, get a Carvin X100B head or X60B and an MP-1 version 1.38, set it to Instrument level and plug it through the low gain input of the carvin and your set. A friend of mine has this setup and his sound is just awsome. I also played an MP-1 plugged into the input of an old mesaboogie head and it just sounded excellent. i was stupid not to buy that setup.

I myself cant wait to get some extra cash and get a Carvin X100B head to use as a poweramp, once i do that, i can sell half of my rack (eq, Poweramp, and other unwanted stuff) and reduce its size, only keep both of my MP-1s to use as main and backup and my Intellifex for effects and hush and I am set.

Oh.. The MP-2 has really bad drop between patches, again reason for that is I guess the soo much digital stuff on each patch.

Well, hope that helps. Feel free to ask questions.

Duke

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I was comparing the MP-1 Classic and MP-2 this evening. I'm just finished. 4 hours was too little time yet. The Classic has more liquid sound and - which is more important - has a break up un the attack. The sound is more distinct. The MP-2 was more even and dry. I havn't decided which sound was better. They are both fine and similar, though I couldn't get that liquid Classic's sound out of the MP-2, very close but not the same.

I didn't find anything nasal and digital in the MP-2 though. Only a bit dry.

A few more guys who've compared?

• Members

On the other hand, Kirk Hammet used the MP-1 with a Tube Screamer and used the MP-1 on low gain setting.

Duke

I have actually just started fooling around with an OD808 and a low gain

(clean tube[3.666]) setting on my MP-1. So far I am very impressed with the sounds I am getting.

Archived