Is the Eventide H3000 still a good buy?

• Members

I always wanted to have one Eventide. From the moment i heard Vai's Passion and Warfare and that strange, beautiful sounds, i knew i had to get one. By that time i was still a student, so i couldn't afford one. Now i work, and i have some money to spent, so i'm thinking seriously about getting one again.

Im an amateur, i have a small studio in my house that i use for fun. I love to make and play music, and i love gear, of course. I would use the Eventide for:

- intelligent harmony with my guitar

- those ethereal beautiful sounds

- as a dedicated reverb unit for vocals and drums

Question is... is the H3000S (or the S/DX) still a good unit to buy these days? Or should i jump to a 4000 series instead? I mean, i know that the 4000 series are superior, more flexible, but i don't know if i'll ever use that much power. I love to tweek, but i think the 3000 would let me tweek for a long time too...

I don't want to spend extra money in the 4000, unless it's such a worthy unit over the 3000 series...

So, is the H3000 still a great machine worth buying, or is it somewhat dated, therefore it would be better to jump into the 4000 series instead?

• Members

The H3000SE still gets my vote. After all these years it still does the job and does it well. As does the PCM 70, the TC 2290, and a few other pieces from that era.

I sincerely believe that some of these "old" pieces are going to stay around for quite a while since they are still being put to use in major applications and racks around the globe.

Example: I have a Korg A3. I have had it since they first released it back around 1990. Still a great piece. So much so, I bought the Korg A2 recently. I have decided to go ahead and make further investments in their support products as well. The Lexicon LXP-15 is another such product.

Many of the older pieces are a true bargain and sometimes (sonically) outperform their intended replacements. Don't let the hype and spin get in the way of your ears. They will tell you what's kewl and what's trash.

The debate of the TC Electronic G-Force has raged on, on HC for quite sometime, and I will be the first to tell you that I am not a fan of the unit. (Yes, I owned one before and have since sold it.) This atests to my afinity for the "older" stuff regardless of price or hype. Those pieces just sound good. Harmonically rich and sonically pleasing. (Get this... 16 bit technology sounding better than 24 bit technology...go figure that one!)

Anyway, this is my rant and $0.02 worth of menutia. Hope it puts some light on a deep subject.:cool:

Cheers :D

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I had a g-force and the only thing I used it for was the pitch and longer quad tap delays....does the H3000S have delays like this and have the option of running them at the same time? I use a strymon for my shorter delays but need a full time patch like I mentioned in the beginning of my post.

• Members

You can run the G-Force and H3000 simultaneously but will need to have a line mixer or something equivalent. The Eventide does do multi-tap delays but is really geared for harmonizing and looping. I would recommend TC 2190 for killer delay apps (also has great looping capabilities) if you are so inclined. The racks can get pretty big and complex quickly when you go this route though, but sonically it's still by far the best out there. Your flexibility is so much broader but the major problem is many people just can't keep up with the programming or don't know enough about these systems to be bothered to learn them.

• Members

Really makes sense but it sounds like there no all in one unit, the quad tap delays are so badass in the g-force and it does intelligent pitch shifting, the two things I need...too bad the Eventide falls short here with the delays. The lag time between patches is a turn off big time. The 2290 is missing the pitch shifting and no way am I buying the AxeFx. I guess the G-Force wins for now...unless someone can recommend something that does not involve more than one unit.

Archived