Pitch Shifting Rack Gear

• Members

Originally posted by Hell Bites

Thanks for the quick reply. The G-Major and Rocktron Effects Racks look cool. I remember hearing something bad about the G-Major programming though...

The programming is real easy. You are probably thinking of issues using the unit in parallel with a dry kill, which has been resolved with the latest update frome TC.

• Members

the g-major doesn't have an intelligent pitch shifter though, so depending on how far you're shifting, and how much you use it for chord work, it does search for the notes a bit...i tend to like that digital gurgle and utilize it for noise/ambient stuff, but if you're looking for a clean shifter, you should be aware of it...

an inexpensive solution might be one of the older digitech artist processors..the 2101 (i think that's the model, someone correct me if i'm wrong) i believe incorporates intelligent pitch shifting and also has the ability to bypass the preamp...

• Members

Originally posted by somata

an inexpensive solution might be one of the older digitech artist processors..the 2101 (i think that's the model, someone correct me if i'm wrong) i believe incorporates intelligent pitch shifting and also has the ability to bypass the preamp...

I have a 2101 artist model and it does indeed have intelligent pitch shifting, and preamp bypass.

The pitshifting leaves somthing be desired (if your looking for clean and accurat) but its workable.

Going down one octave or slight detunes sound best.

Its really not a bad beginner multi-fx unit, probably can get them very cheap on ebay nowadays. I hate to look because I paid 1100$ or so for mine brand new when it came out...

• Members

Originally posted by Hepburn

also the Whammy 4. I know it's not actually rack, but it can be controlled via midi so a possible cheapish solution.

+1

Mine sits velcroed to the bottom of my rack behind my power amp. The cabling is a bit horrendous back there but I can control it from my Behringer and it saves space that I don't have on my pedal board. If your controller has expression pedals on them it's a good choice. Good luck!

- Erich

• Members

On the whammy 4, you can harmonize an octave as well as any interval between while still having the original note playing. You can also pitch shift 2 octaves or one octave up or down, dive bomb, drop tune, and detune. It did seem to have a little trouble tracking once when I left it in the middle instead of up or down, but it actually just made a really cool sound cause it couldnt really stick at one note. But when all the way up, it seems pretty good at tracking. I havent had any problems with it so far.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

Are those intelligent??

Yes, all of them are.

Select the harmony type, the interval, scale, mode etc. 2 part harmonies, 3 if you count the part you are playing.

Both units were designed by IVL technologies, the guys who did the original WH-1 Whammy pedal for Digitech.

• Members

Originally posted by stilwel

Yes, all of them are.

Select the harmony type, the interval, scale, mode etc. 2 part harmonies, 3 if you count the part you are playing.

Both units were designed by IVL technologies, the guys who did the original WH-1 Whammy pedal for Digitech.

The best rack unit is the Digitech Vocalist II, designed for vocals (well duh) quite a lot of pros* who use whammy actually use this. Fantastic bit of kit and should go for less then 200 (sterling)

*well I know of at least one! David Gilmour has one in his live rack. :D

• Members

The Digitech IPS33B and DHP33 processors are easily the best band-for-the-buck harmonizers out there.

I've had both, and I ended up with the DHP33.

The DHP55 is good too.

Jason

I may have an extra DHP-33 in the next day or so...PM me if anyone's interested.

• Members

Yes, all of them are.

Why is the DHP-33 better than the IPS-33B?

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Why is the DHP-33 better than the IPS-33B?

I didn't say it was any better....

They are virtually the same unit. The DHP33 is an IPS33B with a modern cosmetic upgrade.

I had them both at the same time. I performed a back to back test. I couldn't tell the difference between the two, so I kept the newer one.

stilwel

• Members

I didn't say it was any better....

They are virtually the same unit. The DHP33 is an IPS33B with a modern cosmetic upgrade.

I had them both at the same time. I performed a back to back test. I couldn't tell the difference between the two, so I kept the newer one.

stilwel

Any less noisy or anything?

Whats the difference with the DHP-55?

I had a IPS-33B at one point in time. Sometimes I think about getting another...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Shask

Any less noisy or anything?

Whats the difference with the DHP-55?

I had a IPS-33B at one point in time. Sometimes I think about getting another...

I heard the 55 model was developed in-house as opposed to the 33 models and vocalist models that were developed by IVL or whatever.

The IVL's apparently have better tracking.

The DHP-33 prices have been climbing since the beginning of this thread.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

The DHP-33 prices have been climbing since the beginning of this thread.

Wow...this is an old thread.

I think just about every pedal price has climbed since the start of this one!

:D

• Members

I've got the DHP55, and like it just fine. I don't know if others do the job better, but I used it a couple times just for replicating the "shimmer" effect that the Edge uses.

It gets some really interesting sounds going that I've only begun to delve into, but I haven't made full use of it yet. I couldn't resist picking it up when I found a used one at a GC.

Stilwel, I gather that you're using the DHP33 for shimmer, primarily?

Archived