ENGL preamps

• Members

im looking at some engl preamps... i like the look and what i read about the engl580.. i like the fact that their preamps have the lo mid,high mid control. not just mid..but im not sure if i need all the power and midi .. so if the engl530 sounds the same i might get that...anyone do and comparisions or hear both...that 580 looks sweet ....:p

• Members

+1 on the E570!!!

I just bought an E570 and sold my CAE 3+SE. Very happy I did so as the E570 suits my taste much better. If you are looking for an Uberschall/Powerball in a preamp, than the E570 is the way to go. It has a brutal 3rd channel with tight low-end chunk for days. Also, channel 1 has one of the nicest clean tones I've heard....very bell-like. I currently own this pre along with a Soldano X88R, Mesa Triaxis, Mesa Recto Pre and a H&K Access. I really like them all but the Engl is my favorite as I really favor the heavy stuff and it delivers!

• Members

I've seen the E570 yesterday......

Looks like a winner.....it's midified except for the gain/vol and EQ pots.....the way I like it!

The only thing that annoys me.....

The silver shining pots with a very thin blakc line toe indicate it's position. At twee feet it's hardly visible!

As for the website....

Horst Langer still don't understand the power of the internet!

Their site is NEVER up to date!!!!

Regards Vinni,

b.t.w......I'm using a Ritchie Blackmore now....

• Members

still cant decide on which preamp to get the 580 or 530...

the 580 looks great but engl just went up 500.00 on the list price:eek: is it worth all the money does it sound better than my triaxis or more flexible ? or should i get the 530 to complement my triaxis:)

• Members

im in vancouver, bc canada. where can i find an engl dealer in the area...even close by in the states.....seattle maybe.... i wanna check out the engl 580. im thinking of running it stereo alongside my vht gp3 preamp through vht 2902

• Members

Originally posted by millertime

im looking at some engl preamps... i like the look and what i read about the engl580.. i like the fact that their preamps have the lo mid,high mid control. not just mid..but im not sure if i need all the power and midi .. so if the engl530 sounds the same i might get that...anyone do and comparisions or hear both...that 580 looks sweet ....
:p

I own a 530. I am extremely happy with it.

I'd love to have the 580, but for me it was not worth the price. The 530 is enough.

I have no idea how it sounds compared to the 580, but it sounds awesome.

Mind you, the poweramp does make a diference. Any preamp will suck if you use a crappy poweramp.

regards,

mori

• Members

yeah, i've narrowed it down to a decision between the soldano x99, soldano x88, engl 530, engl 580, and bogner fish.

i dont think the fish has any midi capability though...which rules it out. i already emailed soldano to get a price on the x99, i have no idea what its selling for, but im guessing around 4000 US?? I've seen some used x88s advertised...i could probably get one used for 2000 US, but I can't seem to get any info about this preamp.

As far as the engl units go, I can't find any pricing anywhere on the units. Anyone know how much these go for new/used?

If anyone has .pdf instruction manuals for these amps i'd be very grateful if you could send me a copy.

or if you know of any other all tube, midi operated preamps . . .

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan

yeah, i've narrowed it down to a decision between the soldano x99, soldano x88, engl 530, engl 580, and bogner fish.

i dont think the fish has any midi capability though...which rules it out. i already emailed soldano to get a price on the x99, i have no idea what its selling for, but im guessing around 4000 US?? I've seen some used x88s advertised...i could probably get one used for 2000 US, but I can't seem to get any info about this preamp.

As far as the engl units go, I can't find any pricing anywhere on the units. Anyone know how much these go for new/used?

If anyone has .pdf instruction manuals for these amps i'd be very grateful if you could send me a copy.

or if you know of any other all tube, midi operated preamps . . .

check www.rocksolidamps.com for info about the ENGL preamps and pricing.

Duke

• Members

Originally posted by sonik777

we are gonna need some serious clips once you get it!

I dream at night of the 580
:(

you'll get one some day..I've been looking at this preamp for a few years.. finally i decided to get it.. its alot of cash for a guitar preamp...

• Members

yeah ive been thinking about pulling the trigger on an Egnater M4. I dont think its quite as expensive as the 580... But it'll be the one i keep for a long long time...

seems like an investment when you think about it... Why spend money on something, or a lot of things trying to acheive the tone of an amp you know already exists...

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan

already emailed soldano to get a price on the x99, i have no idea what its selling for, but im guessing around 4000 US?? I've seen some used x88s advertised...i could probably get one used for 2000 US, but I can't seem to get any info about this preamp.

The X88 is built to order and costs about $2800 new, $1600 used. The X99 isn't made anymore so you have to find one used, for about $2000. I've no pdf but I can answer your questions about it... What do you want to know ?

• Members

i would really appreciate more user's informations about the egnl 530 preamp !

i actually have a v-twin rackmounted , and a friend let me use his rectifier preamp .

i need my own preamp to replace the v-twin ,and the 530 really interest me (rectifier is too expensive, and clean channel not very good)!

thanks for any help.

• Members

Originally posted by ibanez7addict

i would really appreciate more user's informations about the egnl 530 preamp !

i actually have a v-twin rackmounted , and a friend let me use his rectifier preamp .

i need my own preamp to replace the v-twin ,and the 530 really interest me (rectifier is too expensive, and clean channel not very good)!

thanks for any help.

Why not look out for a Mesa studio preamp? has a tone very similar to the Mark series mesa's. Best preamp they've made IMO

• Members

Originally posted by ibanez7addict

well,

i would like to know how brutal the distortion is ,

does it has "tube tone" or synthetic tone,

is it as powerfull as the rectifier preamp ...more ? less?

is the studio preamp brutal ? with lot of gain ?

thanks a lot !

I've got an E530 - I would describe the distortion as very tight and punchy yet very organic feeling with a ton of crunch. The hi and lo mid controls really make it easy to dial in anything from 80's hair metal to modern speed metal tones. For the price, it is a great preamp. I went through 5 or 6 preamps and the Engl was my favorite out of all of them. It's right up there with the CAE IMHO. My only complaint is that it is not too loose or open sounding - again, very tight. So if you want to do blues or classic rock look elsewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

I've got an E530 - I would describe the distortion as very tight and punchy yet very organic feeling with a ton of crunch. The hi and lo mid controls really make it easy to dial in anything from 80's hair metal to modern speed metal tones. For the price, it is a great preamp. I went through 5 or 6 preamps and the Engl was my favorite out of all of them. It's right up there with the CAE IMHO. My only complaint is that it is not too loose or open sounding - again, very tight. So if you want to do blues or classic rock look elsewhere.

nice , thank you ,

i have my mesa boogie v-twin rack mounted to play blues rock , the 530 is for playing extreme metal !

Archived