The Behringer V-AMP PRO Preamp

• Members

do you think this is a good preamp to start off with? i'm not into huge effects. i just like a good dark heavy metal crunch type tone and i will be working this preamp with a furman power conditioner, a VHT 2-50-2, and a korg tuner. they're affordable and i need your opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by metale

I like it. only played it with full range mixer, power amp and speakers and the tone was amazing. But I think It would do much better with a tube guitar power amp and guitar speakers (with the speaker simulation off).

no it won't do it....

i tryed it with :

2 different poweramps (rocktron velocity transistor poweramp, and marshall 9100 all tube poweramp) .

fender strat ultra , ibanez rg 7620, ibanez sa 1260 prestige ,

marshall 1936 cabinets

marshall 1922 cabinets

and whatever i did the sound was crappy !

take a pod xt , and the sound will be much better .

vetta II is ok too .

• Members

you can get an ada mp-1 for about $100. They have one of the best clean sounds you can get. I'm sure you could get a really heavy metal sound out of it... I can, and so did many other musicians from bands like metallica, testament, and even smashing pumpkins.

• Members

I would wait....

For the same money or even just a bit more, you can get some really nice pre-amps from ENGL, ADA, Peavey, etc etc.

They won't have all the effects and stuff perhaps, but they will sound better.

I have the Behringer Vampire which is pretty much just a V-amp PRO with a poweramp. It does sound pretty decent, but I like my real tube amp stuff better. Oh and you won't have as many switching problems.... there is some serious delay with the Behringer stuff.

Plus I found you are way better off saving and getting something nice up front rather than going cheap and upgrading, you end up spending a lot more and have crappy tone for a lot longer.

Just my .02

• Members

Sounds fine to me for the $135 that I picked up my used one for (new are they are now $170). Go for it. All the better sounding preamps cost 3 times as much or more. Nothing wrong with using it for now and upgrading to something else later and KEEPING the thing for the 2 or 3 presets that you like in it--it's cheap enough to just have on the side and use if only for a few times a year after you get something else.

• Members

Originally posted by kurtisqpublic

In side by side comparisons the Vamp is lsain by the POD technology. The sampling rate on the vamp isn't quite what I would consider to be high quality.

~Q~

In side by side comparisons, any item that costs three times what the other does damn well better slay the other one.

You're comparing a $99 modeler to a $299 modeler.

• Members

Originally posted by kurtisqpublic

In side by side comparisons the Vamp is lsain by the POD technology. The sampling rate on the vamp isn't quite what I would consider to be high quality.

~Q~

It certainly can't hurt to have a higher sampling rate. However, considering that guitar cabs typcially only reproduce frequencies of up to 5kHz, it is questionable whether a sampling rate of 31kHz (resulting in a frequency range of 15.5kHz) presents a noticeable limitation.

By the way: The POD 2.0, to which the V-Amp should rather be compared because they belong to the same generation of modellers, runs at the same sampling rate as the V-Amp. And there are still people who prefer the POD 2.0 over the XT. That may have changed with the availabilty of the model packs, but it still goes to show that sampling rate is not everything and that guitar sound is a highly subjective matter.

Jan

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Just a few quick points. I modify all my own gear, including the V-Amp Pro, but with the following link, I think it was still stock. Putting in a Valvulator or any tube buffer helps. I prefer these things to ANY Line6 stuff. Zoom has its strengths too.

I'm not promoting my playing or anything but have a listen to the following tones- it would take a lot of nice gear and a good engineer to beat them. It is good to have a parallel system of pedals regardless, especially with today's offerings and the used prices I see on DS1 and wahs &c.

http://www.myspace.com/evansalmon

• Members

Wait for a Rocktron Pro GAP ultra comes along on ebay or music go round. I got mine for $130 with shipping. I couldn't be any happier, plus it's not "toyish" at all.

I know you have an H&K Access. Are you really being serious? After all it might come I will get it too. This one or an old Chameleon.

Archived