rocktron intellifex

morder

• Members

Some questions about the rocktron intellifex:

I've heard it's possible to create tremolo, phaser and flanger effects out of the existing effects in this unit. How do you do this?

How does this unit handle midi patch changes? Will there be any silence between patch changes? Does it have preset "spill-over" like the newer rocktron processors (allowing reverbs and delays to sound after changing to another preset)

How does the versions of the intellifex differ? On the rocktron website there are 3 versions of the manual: Intellifex LTD, Intellifex Online and Intellifex XL.

• Members

I can answer some of these questions....

There's no silence between patch changes, but there's no spill over either, at least not on mine, but mine's the older version (the original blackface).

As for versions, you have the original blackface, the newer LTD, the most recent Online, and the XL. The blackface has a different chip inside than all the others, that some seem to prefer. I haven't heard one next to a newer one, but I do know that I love my blackface version. The LTD is basically the exact same functionality as the blackface, just different chip. The Online boasts about being able to download presets on to it from the internet, but you can do that with any of them I think. I did it with my blackface. All you need is the program that they offer on Rocktron's website and a cable to hook your midi in and out to your computer. Easy. The XL has an added EQ section I believe, but I think thats it. Maybe a little better processing speed and more delay time. But the XL's are hard to find. I've never actually seen one ever on ebay.

If I were you, I'd get the blackface or the LTD. They're both cheaper than the Online, and they work just as good. Or if you want to go hardcore with the reverb, go with an Intelliverb instead. Basically the same as the Intellifex, but with a huge amount of parameters to adjust for reverb so you can simulate different room sizes and reflections.

• Members

If I had it near me, I would check for you. But right now, it's about 14 hours away, back up at my college. I'm home for the break, so I left all my gear up there locked away. You can check the manuals if and see if they say anything. Or if anyone else can come and chime in, then that would be great.

• Members

Originally posted by morder

I've heard it's possible to create tremolo, phaser and flanger effects out of the existing effects in this unit. How do you do this?

Its probebly possible to do but might take sometime to tweek. I've never tried to do so, but heard 1 or 2 patches that sorta sounded like a short flanger.

How does this unit handle midi patch changes? Will there be any silence between patch changes? Does it have preset "spill-over" like the newer rocktron processors (allowing reverbs and delays to sound after changing to another preset)

The Patch changes on this unit are instant. I've never had problems switching between patches. It doesnt have the spill-over feature. You can get it done by using an "intelligent" controller like the Behringer FCB1010, Rocktron Midi or any controller that alows you to send CC messages or Real-Time controling. The way I have it done is set the Delay on my Intellifex to be muted on patch #3, and then when I am on that patch, I programmed it so that when I rock the Expression pedal on my Behringer forward, it changes the delay to ACTIVE and it'll be in my signal, when i rock the pedal back, it'll close/mute the delay, but it'll spill over on the patch within it self. The other way to do it is to use a Rack mixer and you'll need a 2nd unit.. which is too much work. if you want that feature, look into the Rocktron Replifex or Xpression.

How does the versions of the intellifex differ? On the rocktron website there are 3 versions of the manual: Intellifex LTD, Intellifex Online and Intellifex XL.

I've only owned/still own the Intellifex Original black face. If i remember correctly, I was told that the original Black Face intellifex has the "best" sounding chip inside. I couldnt comfirm that for you.. sorry! I think the Intellifex XL has an EQ too along with the effects from the original black face Intellifex.

Hope that helps,

Duke

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

I've been using multiple versions of the Intellifex since 1994. My early black-face model was great - but ironically the best sounding version I own is a grey-face Korean made Intellifex. The USA made maroon-face models I owned were glitchy, and a bit noisy compared to the Korean made model. I gave-up on the maroon-face after trying 3 of them. Go figure...

I also use an Intelliverb, which I consider to be the ultimate reverb/delay unit.

• Members

I have a blackface one...I got it used, and it had no power supply. I checked the online manual to see the specs, googled the specs, and found out that the Line 6 pedals (M9, DL4, etc.) use the exact

same one. I went to the local GC and picked it up. Perfect!

• Members

I have a blackface one...I got it used, and it had no power supply. I checked the online manual to see the specs, googled the specs, and found out that the Line 6 pedals (M9, DL4, etc.) use the exact

same one. I went to the local GC and picked it up. Perfect!

Good to know!:)

Many people don't know this, but the earliest BF Intellifex models used the same multi-pin DIN style power-supply input as the RSP Intelliverb. I prefer the early model for sure! It sounded identical to my Intelliverb.

Archived