ada mp1 instead of an amp mod?

voivod

• Members

Our other guitarist used to play an ADA MP1 and use his 5150 as the power amp. Damn thing sounded pretty good. How ADA lost their grip on the market I'll never know.

You can't go wrong with ADA, and for some reason you can pick up stuff for it on EBay pretty cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by BeauNasty

Our other guitarist used to play an ADA MP1 and use his 5150 as the power amp. Damn thing sounded pretty good. How ADA lost their grip on the market I'll never know.

You can't go wrong with ADA, and for some reason you can pick up stuff for it on EBay pretty cheap.

That guy must be nuts. Using an MP1 instead of the 5150 preamp is like trading a T-Bone steak for a peanutbutter sandwich.

The reason you can get them on Ebay cheap is because the sounds are outdated. The ADA was a great preamp back in the 80's but it can't compete with the modern preamps and amp modelers. Even the Behringer V-Amp Pro kicks the ADA's ass [even the modded ones].

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

That guy must be nuts. Using an MP1 instead of the 5150 preamp is like trading a T-Bone steak for a peanutbutter sandwich.

The reason you can get them on Ebay cheap is because the sounds are outdated. The ADA was a great preamp back in the 80's but it can't compete with the modern preamps and amp modelers. Even the Behringer V-Amp Pro kicks the ADA's ass [even the modded ones].

hey man.. just because you dont like it or think it's tone/sound is outdated, doesnt mean other people shouldnt give it a try.

I've been using the ADA MP-1 for a number of years now and been using it modded for the 3TM for nearly 2 or more years. In that time, I've compared it to other preamps by ENGL, Randall, Mesa, Peavey, Marshall, etc.. and the 3TM modded MP-1 won without any doubt.

I use mine along with a Rocktron Replifex, VHT 2502 and a "modded" JCM800 straight 412 cabinet and to be honest, I couldnt be happier with the tone I get out of it. I can cover alot of tones with it.

Even the owners of those other preamps were really amazed of how good the 3TM modded MP-1 sounded compared to their $600+ preamp.

Cheers!

• Members

I disagree with this statement. I have both a PodXT and an MP-1 and I like the tone of the MP-1 WAY more, of course that is a purely subjective thing.

The thing about the MP-1 is that even though it has digital aspects such as MIDI control and memory storage, the audio chain itself is 100% analog, and its distortion is totally tube based (I have the schematics to it and I'm an electronics tech) and analog amp and preamp technology has not changed that much in the last 10 years.

• Members

You are right about tone being subjective. I was just stating my opinion so don't take it personally. If you are happy with the MP-1 then great. I know that the MP-1 is all analog and tube based but there is something about the tone that reminds me of a Boss distortion pedal. Maybe you guys could prove me wrong by posting some sound samples of your MP-1 to give us a better idea of it's potential tones. Please don't refer to some ADA site with other peoples samples as I would like to hear your own personal MP3s.

• Members

You are right about tone being subjective. I was just stating my opinion so don't take it personally. If you are happy with the MP-1 then great. I know that the MP-1 is all analog and tube based but there is something about the tone that reminds me of a Boss distortion pedal. Maybe you guys could prove me wrong by posting some sound samples of your MP-1 to give us a better idea of it's potential tones. Please don't refer to some ADA site with other peoples samples as I would like to hear your own personal MP3s.

I'll try to make some clips this weekend if I get a chance to. I'll try to find some backing tracks to download and make different short clips of my 3TM MP-1 into the VHT 2502.

Cheers

• Members

I'd like to hear that too

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

I'll try to make some clips this weekend if I get a chance to. I'll try to find some backing tracks to download and make different short clips of my 3TM MP-1 into the VHT 2502.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm sorry but I have to disagree about the V-Amp Pro, it sounds so digital and solid state because well, it is solid state and not tube.

Archived