Power amp considerations

• Members

Ok, so I have gone and got myself a JMP-1, which I hope to match up with a Tech 21 PSA 1.1 (as soon as the income tax comes back to me :D ) but with these two pre amps in mind, anyone have any recomendations for a sutiable power amp to work well with both units?

I got the JMP because I am a real marshall fan boy, and I am looking at the Tech 21 unit for higher gain and mesa type tones. No effects units yet (just starting to get a rack rig together but I am leaning towards a G-Major) if that is of any info to anyone who is listening.

• Members

VHT 2/90/2

Mesa Stereo 2:90 or 2:100

Either of the three would be ground shaking and mate perfect with those two preamps that you've mentioned.

I tend to lean toward the VHT though because of build quality and the fact that, nobody and I mean nobody in the bussiness today offers up customer service that even comes close, to Steve's, AKA, VHT... ;)

The GMajor was a good choice......... I was listening:cool:

• Members

Well I am figgering about 600 +/- used. I originally have been eyeballing units such as the mesa 50/50, marshall 50/50-9100 ect. Carvin t100 or is it ts100? All of which realistically put out more poswer than I "need", the 395 500's ect. are way to much over kill, nice thouhgt, but I think the misses would kill me dead once she regained her hearing :D

I have though about both the Marshall 20/20 unit and the Mesa 20/20, but I am completely unfamiliar with what to expect sound wise from the 84 tubes, 34's and 6l6/5881`'s I have some familiarity with.

The 50/50 area for a power range seemed ( at first thought anyways) the best trade of between power, clean headroom, and sheer volume when needed (for what it is worth I am planning on using a pair of 2x12 cabs).

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

Well I am figgering about 600 +/- used. I originally have been eyeballing units such as the mesa 50/50, marshall 50/50-9100 ect. Carvin t100 or is it ts100? All of which realistically put out more poswer than I "need", the 395 500's ect. are way to much over kill, nice thouhgt, but I think the misses would kill me dead once she regained her hearing
:D

I have though about both the Marshall 20/20 unit and the Mesa 20/20, but I am completely unfamiliar with what to expect sound wise from the 84 tubes, 34's and 6l6/5881`'s I have some familiarity with.

The 50/50 area for a power range seemed ( at first thought anyways) the best trade of between power, clean headroom, and sheer volume when needed (for what it is worth I am planning on using a pair of 2x12 cabs).

Is that $600usd? If so, for that you can get:

- Mesa 50/50 (try to get a hold of the old version of this)

- Carvin TS100 (new)

- Carvin T100

- Peavey Classic 50/50

- Peavey Classic 60/60

those are the poweramps I can think about that wont break your bank and wont break your back.

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

- Carvin TS100 (new)

- Carvin T100

- Peavey Classic 50/50

- Peavey Classic 60/60

those are the poweramps I can think about that wont break your bank and wont break your back.

Cheers

the 9100 will break your back, as will the 9200.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

So is my Marshall dual monoblock 100/100. I could easliy blow 4 4x12's loaded with 75's while using my PODxt heavy bottom patch.

Dave,You gonna send that patch over to me, or what...?:D:p:D

I'll send you over a couple of Dime patches I've been working on...;)viking.gifylsuper.gif

• Members

I keep hearing that the PSA-1 does not play well with tube power amps and to use SS power only, because it already emulates tube power sag and other characteristics, which would be doubled if you use tube power with it. I also hear that it should be used with speakers which are as close as possible to full range rather than typical guitar cab speakers. Anyone know anything about that?

• Members

- Carvin TS100 (new)

- Carvin T100

- Peavey Classic 50/50

- Peavey Classic 60/60

Cheers

My bad, yes USD, that seems to be a fairly reasonable range judging by what I am watching on ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

My bad, yes USD, that seems to be a fairly reasonable range judging by what I am watching on ebay.

cool.. no problem!

To be honest, my suggestion would be save up about $200usd or so more and get your self something like a VHT 2/50/2.

Trust me... I speak from experience. I've used a whole bunch of those poweramps above and I thought they were good at the time.. until I baught a VHT 2502. it puts those poweramps to shame.

Tone is much more organic, punchier, tighter, etc..

Definitly worth it at the end.

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by scottdh

I keep hearing that the PSA-1 does not play well with tube power amps and to use SS power only, because it already emulates tube power sag and other characteristics, which would be doubled if you use tube power with it. I also hear that it should be used with speakers which are as close as possible to full range rather than typical guitar cab speakers. Anyone know anything about that?

That's what I have heard as well. It will probably not mix well with the JMP-1 through through the same tube P.A. and cabinet.

• Members

cool.. no problem!

To be honest, my suggestion would be save up about $200usd or so more and get your self something like a VHT 2/50/2.

Trust me... I speak from experience. I've used a whole bunch of those poweramps above and I thought they were good at the time.. until I baught a VHT 2502. it puts those poweramps to shame.

Tone is much more organic, punchier, tighter, etc..

Definitly worth it at the end.

Cheers

Really?? The VHT is that much better?

• Members

Originally posted by Hell Bites

Really?? The VHT is that much better?

To be honest.. I noticed a big difference right away from my carvin T100 to the VHT 2502.

the VHT just sounds clearer, and has this really organic tone to it.

If i press the voice button and crank it up pretty good, I definitly dont have a problem to compete with an amp head out there tone wise.

I'll try my best to record some clips this weekend.

Thanks

Archived