Peavey Classic 50/50 - can it handle a 16ohm mono load?

• Members

Does anyone know if I can use a single 16 ohm mono cab with this power amp? It appears that the impedance selector only goes up to 8ohms for bridged mono mode. Can I run it in stereo mode using only one side? If I do this won't I damage it because the unused side wants to see a load?

• Members

Yeah, you ran run a single cab at 16ohm in stereo mode. Leave the unused side in Standby mode(maybe keep the volume on 0 also just in case).

Check the manual *just* in case, It's been a while since i've used my 50/50 and I can't check it right now.

Manual should be on the Peavey site somewhere in PDF format.

• Members

Actually, I ended up getting the Classic 60 instead. The store where I was originally going to purchase the 50/50 from mistakenly had one listed in their online inventory. I found out this out after I had driven an hour :mad: . Anyhow, a store that was closer to my house ended up having a mono Classic 60, 3 rackspace dual 6L6 driven power amp. So now the issue is moot since it's a mono amp with 4,8, and 16 ohm taps.

Even though it's 3 rack spaces as opposed to 2, it's still about the same weight as the 50/50 (21 lbs) since it has less depth (8 inches) and less stuff inside since it's a mono amp.

Now my next step is to find some sort of gig bag for it. I don't want to get one of those rack bags because it would add a minimum of 10 lbs to the total weight. and there would be a lot of empty space within the rack bags since the Peavey's depth is quite "shallow". I'm thinking of getting one of those Gator gig bags that I can sling over my shoulder.

After I get it, I will have the ultimate portable gig rig -- a guitar in one hand, cab in the other, Peavey Classic 60 slung over one shoulder and my POD XTL slung over the other shoulder.

• Members

8 ohm out to 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch

4 ohm out to an 8 ohm cab is a safe mismatch

4 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab is also a safe mismatch

Just don't reverse it to a higher ohm load out to a lower ohm load in. In that scenario you'd end up frying your output tranny due to the lesser speaker load resistance...

Example of an unsafe mismatch:

8 ohm out to 4 ohm cab

16 ohm out to 8 ohm cab

Or 8 ohm out to 8 ohm cab, daisy chained to another 8 ohm cab=4 ohm load...

The last scenario You could do this with most PA solid state Power amps but not with a tube poweramp(in most cases)

• Members

How do you know if your cab is 4, 8, or 16 ohms?? Does it say on the cab? I have an old sound city cab and I have no clue how many ohms it is....

Another question I have is concerning watts: What if my cab carries two 30 watt speakers and I have a 100 watt tube power amp, could this blow the speakers? Conversely, what if it's 250 watts of SS power, is there the same threat to the speakers? In theory do you have to match the speakers up with the amp? Like for example, my cab has two 30 watt speakers for a total of 60 watts, does that mean I should not exceed 60 watts of power?

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

How do you know if your cab is 4, 8, or 16 ohms?? Does it say on the cab? I have an old sound city cab and I have no clue how many ohms it is....

Another question I have is concerning watts: What if my cab carries two 30 watt speakers and I have a 100 watt tube power amp, could this blow the speakers? Conversely, what if it's 250 watts of SS power, is there the same threat to the speakers? In theory do you have to match the speakers up with the amp? Like for example, my cab has two 30 watt speakers for a total of 60 watts, does that mean I should not exceed 60 watts of power?

If the cab doesn't say what ohms you need to get a hold of a multimeter and test the cabs input jack.

As far as watts, the 30x30 watt speaker set up would be 60 watts, and 100 watts tube would be unsafe. However SS power is different because the speakers draw power from it differently depending on the ohms (of the speakers). For example, I have a SS head that reads "120 watts at 4 ohms". There's probably an equation for figuring this, but at 8 ohms someone told me it would draw something like 80 watts. At 16 ohms even less (50/60??).

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

If the cab doesn't say what ohms you need to get a hold of a multimeter and test the cabs input jack.

As far as watts, the 30x30 watt speaker set up would be 60 watts, and 100 watts tube would be unsafe. However SS power is different because the speakers draw power from it differently depending on the ohms (of the speakers). For example, I have a SS head that reads "120 watts at 4 ohms". There's probably an equation for figuring this, but at 8 ohms someone told me it would draw something like 80 watts. At 16 ohms even less (50/60??).

Thanks for the info.:thu:

Archived