Switcher decisions...

• Members

I've got my rack almost completely planned, and have most of the gear I need for it. Still after a couple expression pedals (going for the Ernie Balls, I think), and need a MIDI-switchable delay unit.

But, I really have to work out a good switcher option. I was after the GCX for a while, but I really don't need 8 loops. So, I'm considering a GRX4.

Anyone got any experience with these? Are they worth the money?

I'm hoping to control everything (really, probably just an A3 and a delay unit, and maybe channel switching on a Fender amp) with a Ground Control and exp. pedals. Will the GRX4 pass CC and program change commands through all the loops, or just through the 4th? I can't seem to find anything about this online.

• Members

Are you looking for audio loops or control functions? For audio loops the GRX4 is fantastic. You could also use the first three loops of the GRX4 as audio loops and the 4th loop can be used as a control function. If all you need is control functions then try the Axess CFX4, an equally high quality product, but meant for control functions, not audio loops.

All in all you can't go wrong with the Axess products, as their stuff is well built and the customer service is second to none.

Peter

• Members

If Loops and switching functions are what you need(as well as Full MIDI and HUSH noise reduction-cause pedals make lotsa noise) get a Bradshaw or Custom Audio Electronics switching system.

I have a Custom Audio Electronics 4x4,amp switcher and stereo mixer as well as three Bradshaw RSB-18f Switching systems.

I'm selling one of the bradshaw RSB 18s for $850 shipped.Check my e-bay profile under :Speedmetal2003

• Members

Yeah, the Switchblade is THE ultimate switcher, it's way beyond the traditional style switching systems. Bradshaw couldn't make something that does what the Switchblade can do if his next house payment depended on it.....

And I must go against the Bradshaw suggestion even within the confines of the traditional switching systems. He was a pioneer (although Cornish was doing this stuff way before Bradshaw...) but his designs are outdated. The Axess stuff is much better built and better designed. Not to mention that the Axess customer service is so much better than what you get from Bradshaw that it's not even worth comparing. For a traditional style switching system I would rather have anything by Axess, Skrydstup or even DMC.

But yeah, if you want the best then Sound Sculpture is it.

Peter

• Members

Bradshaw CAN do and does build comparable systems to the Switchblade or any Axxcess product-and believe me he doesnt sweat his house payments either.

Seriously....I realize many have "band loyalty" to certain stuff but to say tha Bradshaw cant build *any* type of switcher,looper or mdule comparablt o or better than the brands you mentioned is silly.

Have you ever spoken to or met the guy?

I have and I've demo'ed many custom built systems that he has built for many top playing/touring pro's.

Dont slam the Cae/Bradshaw stuff until you've owned and tested/played it either past or present.

Bobs customer serrvice and product support (in my own personal experience) has been top notch and always fast,professional ad courteous.

Ever wonder why he's so busy with many touring & studio dudes???

Because his systems are custom designed to be made to *individuals* and many off the shelp products of his work just as well if not better than any of the brands mentioned in the anti Bradshaw reply above this post.

• Members

Actually I have owned and used CAE products (and I've talked to Bob a number of times), as well as stuff by most of the other companies out there doing switching stuff. You obviously are not familiar with the Switchblade if you think that CAE can do anything like it, because CAE has NEVER offered a product that has the capabilities of the Switchblade. CAE has products that are comparable to Axess and DMC, regarding features and style, but none of those companies (including CAE) have anything comparable to the Switchblade. I'm not talking subjectively here, this isn't an opinion thing, the Switchblade functions differently, it has different features and capabilities that the others don't have. Do some research, educate yourself on the subject and get back to me....

p

• Members

Forgive my ignorance here but, I am in the process of (slowly) building up a rack unit. I would like to have a few different effects units, as well, as a few different preamps. These unit you guys are talking about above, whould they allow you to switch from one preamp to another, into what ever effects unit(s) you choose?

I am trying to figure out how I am going to hook all these goodies up, to play nicely. For what it is worth, I have right now a Tech21 PSA-1, a JMP-1 and a Boss GX-700. I also plan on picking up a TC electronic Gmajor and I am not against picking up something like a Mesa studio pre or such.

But I would like to be able to set which pre I am running, into, and that what effect unit(s) that is running in.

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

Forgive my ignorance here but, I am in the process of (slowly) building up a rack unit. I would like to have a few different effects units, as well, as a few different preamps. These unit you guys are talking about above, whould they allow you to switch from one preamp to another, into what ever effects unit(s) you choose?

I am trying to figure out how I am going to hook all these goodies up, to play nicely. For what it is worth, I have right now a Tech21 PSA-1, a JMP-1 and a Boss GX-700. I also plan on picking up a TC electronic Gmajor and I am not against picking up something like a Mesa studio pre or such.

But I would like to be able to set which pre I am running, into, and that what effect unit(s) that is running in.

You will *NEED* an amp selector to choose which preamp you select to run your guitar signal from and into your chosen poweramp.You'd plug INTO the amp selector and then that signal is switched into the desired preamp and that preamp must have a load(powered by a poweramp) to be heard from your cabinet.

Are you going to run a single cabinet?

Multiple cabinets?

More than one poweramp for your preamp applications?

Th3e switchblade unit mentioned is very effective and versatile(but you are still vague on your preamp/poweramp/FX unit configuration(s)

An AMP Switcher is a necessity because of the line level signal from guitar to several different preamps in chain(or series) to be selected at will.

MIDI will be needed as well.

If you elaborate and lay out the desired final scheme of preamps,fx units,and poweramp applications along with the cabinet(s0 yer gonna use I could help you as well as a few others here who will reccomend gear we use or that will fit your needs.

Archived