Step down transformer

• Members

real simple q

I want to buy a ADA MP1 and a either an ADA Microtube or Peavey CLassic 120 with some sort of Furman power conditioner probably the M8. My problem is Australia runs on 240v as opposed to 110v.

What I plan to do is obviously plug the ADA MP1 and Poweramp into the power conditioner and then plug the power conditioner into a stepdown transformer which also has it's own power conditioning.

Is this a recipe for disaster or is this do able?.

• Members

The current draw of a unit is expressed in watts or Amps. (A)

If it is in watts, divide the voltage of the unit's required power into the watts. (watts/volts=current) This will give you the current draw in amps.

example: 500 watts / 120 = 4.2 Amps

Stepdown transformer you will need is a 240 to 120. 2.5A

Make sure you have an inline fuse rated close to the required draw.

Cheers!:wave:

PS>>> Notice the stepup transformer in the pic???

IMG_0006.jpg

• Members

i have a step down transformer that i got from tandy for $100 its the size of a house brick and weighs about the same. its not strong enough to power an amp only a pre or simple fx. your going to need a pretty hefty transformer to do something like a hole rack.

• Members

Typically a power amp will draw the largest at a current-sucking 10A @ 120V. That equates to a mere 5A @ 240V. So, your Stepdown can be somewhat manageable at 7-8 Amps or 2kW @ 240V 50/60hz.

Sure it's going to be a little large and heavy. The alternative would be to see if the units have a 240V tap and change the transformer inside the unit. Particularly the power amp. It's the "power hog".

Hope this helps.:D

Click here...for an example of what you need.

Archived