Anyone else find the 9100 too bright???

• Members

Originally posted by chodd

have you considered swapping out the tubes? Some JJ's would darken it up some in a GOOD way!

I thought it would be a little bit cool to have it modded for EL34's. I know EL34's are taller btw.

SO you're just saying JJ's standard 6L6 would be perfect????

• Members

I have a 9100 and I find it better than the other amps I have owned... 292,252, 290,395, 295, 400, velocity 300... its just a great amp. The thing you should do is try a different preamp with it... that may reveal the true source of the offensive brightness. It may be the Tri-Axis.

• Members

Originally posted by tuvokzeta9

I have a 9100 and I find it better than the other amps I have owned... 292,252, 290,395, 295, 400, velocity 300... its just a great amp. The thing you should do is try a different preamp with it... that may reveal the true source of the offensive brightness. It may be the Tri-Axis.

I solved the problem. sovtek 5881's = harsh

jj 6l6's = musical and warm

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

I solved the problem. sovtek 5881's = harsh

jj 6l6's = musical and warm

Yeah man I yanked the Sovteks out of my 9100 as soon as I brought it home. I put in some NOS Chinese 5881s which are like a Tung-Sol rip-off. They are good for now. I may switch to the TAD Tung-Sols at some point. I really just use the 9100 as a wet amp with a tiny bit of dry signal in the mix.

Archived