ADA mp1 Marshall JMP1 Differecnces??

• Members

Hi all,

I have an ADA mp1 I love it, but I was wondering is the JMP1 a better preamp?

The reason I ask is the MP1 is older and there is not many ways to fix it if it dies. I was thinking if it goes would a JMP1 be a better choice for replacement?

• Members

Originally posted by Helldogg

Hi all,

I have an ADA mp1 I love it, but I was wondering is the JMP1 a better preamp?

The reason I ask is the MP1 is older and there is not many ways to fix it if it dies. I was thinking if it goes would a JMP1 be a better choice for replacement?

I am not sure if you have checked www.adadepot.com's message board.

There are lots of solutions to fix the MP-1 that are always posted on that board.. mods, etc..

To me.. they're 2 different units. 1 being the MP-1 is an all tube preamp and the JMP-1 being solidstate.

I think its better if you try both units and see which you like better. I am sure you'll get a bunch of guys here telling you stuff (both good and bad) about the MP-1 and you'll get another group of people doing the same to the JMP-1.

I will agree with the fact that the MP-1 can be noisey in stock form, but thats only the filter caps being soo old. Doing what called "The Noise Mod" for the MP-1 fixes that issue.

Let your ears be the judge.

Cheers :thu:

• Members

The ADA MP-1 is an all tube signal path operating on a high voltage power supply that runs the preamp tubes(two 12ax7s) at high voltage and current.There are NO Solid state clipping trasnsistors in the ADA signal path.You get BOTH bottles at saturated levels when run in OD 1&2 stages.

The JMP-1 is a Solid Stae preamp with tubes in the signal path to *Warm up* the tones.You get very little benefit from the tubes at all in the JMP-1.In fact...yank em out and play the preamp w/out the tubes...you'll see and end the argument right there.

Pure Marshall rhetoric and propaganda.

The ADA is far and away a better preamp at far less the money with Much better versatility,tones and pure tube warmth.

• Members

I used to play both of them.MP-1 & JMP-1.Both are stock.And i personally preferred the MP-1.Cheap yet awesome tone.Try to listen some of the clips at adadepot and voodooamps and let your ears be the judge.

JMP-1 is cool amp also.Some folks would mod the jmp1 to sound like an all tube amp.But the jmp-1 is not my cup of tea.;)

• Members

Had both. Still have my JMP-1. If you want Marshall tones get one. If not get an ADA.

The JMP-1 is the warmer sounding of the 2 in stock form.

Here is a comparison of clips i've made.

ADA

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jteeuwen/adadepot/ada_mp1_ozzy_getsmethrough.zip

JMP-1

http://www.dishnetwork-free.org/ratm.mp3

Both were run into a Mesa Strategy 500 in these clips.

• Members

I've had a few MP1's even with the three tube mod...Always very solid state sounding in comparison to the JMP1.

I could care less if the JMP1 was nothing but diodes....

Bottom line is that it sounds more like a real amp...

But you will need a good tube power amp.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

I really wanna try some Mullards.
:D

I dug through my tube drawer and realized I had a few old ECC83 Mullards buried in there. When I did the tube thing in my JMP-1 I popped them in just to check it out. They sounded good but I took them back out. Their output was noticebly lower than the newer tubes and as they are old I didn't trust how much life they actually had left, they were used when I got them. It's a real pain getting inside the unit to change them.

One surprise was a 70's RCA 12AX7A that was great in the gain position. Real aggressive and seemed to compress quicker at higher gain settings. I probably would have left it in but I liked the JJ's a bit more overall, I liked the dynamic response at low and mid gain settings a little better. Besides I wanted to put it back in my 74 Super Lead.

• Members

OK ....all my anti-marshall propaganda and feelings aside.

The JMP-1 sounds better(in my opinion) than ANY Marshall heade ever made that didn't or doesn't need a pedal to boost the sucker into real world saturation or overdrive and sharper EQ curves.The JMP-1 preamp has the ability to oversdrive,saturate and just plain scream w/out the need for an overdrive,boost,fuzz or distortion pedal -unlike the heads of the same manufacturer.

But it's not an organic and complex overdrive thats derived from pure tube or analog signal....its from diodes,and transistors clipping from input overload:IE Solid State clipping and/or Distortion.

Why tout this beast(or sheep with a wolves mask) as a *real* Tube preamp that delivers the Marshall catalog of tones in spades and droves????

It doesn't.

While it DOES have its fans,fanbase and brand loyalty users-its Not a real tube preamp in ANY way shape or form.

I Firmly believe and subscribe to the opinion that the ADA MP-1 is a much more versatile,refined,organic,brutal and toneful unit as nopposed to the Marshall JMP-1.

• Members

Originally posted by H2Shredder

Why tout this beast(or sheep with a wolves mask) as a *real* Tube preamp that delivers the Marshall catalog of tones in spades and droves????

It doesn't.

Wanna bet?

;)

Boosted JMP100

http://www.dishnetwork-free.org/jmprhythm.mp3

Boosted JMP-1

http://www.dishnetwork-free.org/jmp1rhythm.mp3

Boosted JMP-1 with poweramp bassboost engaged

http://www.dishnetwork-free.org/jmp1bassboost.mp3

Pretty dang close.

Just imagine if i had a Marshall poweramp with EL-34s.

• Members

OK ....all my anti-marshall propaganda and feelings aside.

The JMP-1 sounds better(in my opinion) than ANY Marshall heade ever made that didn't or doesn't need a pedal to boost the sucker into real world saturation or overdrive and sharper EQ curves.The JMP-1 preamp has the ability to oversdrive,saturate and just plain scream w/out the need for an overdrive,boost,fuzz or distortion pedal -unlike the heads of the same manufacturer.

But it's not an organic and complex overdrive thats derived from pure tube or analog signal....its from diodes,and transistors clipping from input overload:IE Solid State clipping and/or Distortion.

It doesn't.

While it DOES have its fans,fanbase and brand loyalty users-its Not a real tube preamp in ANY way shape or form.

I Firmly believe and subscribe to the opinion that the ADA MP-1 is a much more versatile,refined,organic,brutal and toneful unit as nopposed to the Marshall JMP-1.

You are certainly entitled to your opnion, no problem at all with that. Amps are not a religion, they are just simply tools to be used to accomplish an end result.

I think that many people who have disliked the JMP-1 either didn't take the time with it or didn't pair it with a decent tube power amp. If they did and still didn't like it, well, that's great for them.

Bottom line for me is if something works for what I need I it to do. I could care less how the signal path is configured as long as I get what I want on the other end. Alot of people who dislike things like the JMP-1 have no qualms about running their tube screamer into the clean channel on their tube amp and then proclaiming tube amps as the greatest thing in the world. I always have to chuckle when I see that. It's really no different than the other except that for some reason solid state pedals always seem to be exempt from the criticisms about solid state. Heh heh heh...:D

One thing about the JMP-1 is that the tubes in it definitely make a significant difference and are certainly integrated into the signal path. It also is an all analog circuit, there is no digital distortion.

I never thought of the JMP-1 as being an "all tube pre amp" but then again I read about things before I buy them. But, hey...whatever floats your boat and works for you is fine with me, as long as you're happy with it.

• Members

Originally posted by WKG

You are certainly entitled to your opnion, no problem at all with that. Amps are not a religion, they are just simply tools to be used to accomplish an end result.

I think that many people who have disliked the JMP-1 either didn't take the time with it or didn't pair it with a decent tube power amp. If they did and still didn't like it, well, that's great for them.

Bottom line for me is if something works for what I need I it to do. I could care less how the signal path is configured as long as I get what I want on the other end. Alot of people who dislike things like the JMP-1 have no qualms about running their tube screamer into the clean channel on their tube amp and then proclaiming tube amps as the greatest thing in the world. I always have to chuckle when I see that. It's really no different than the other except that for some reason solid state pedals always seem to be exempt from the criticisms about solid state. Heh heh heh...
:D

One thing about the JMP-1 is that the tubes in it definitely make a significant difference and are certainly integrated into the signal path. It also is an all analog circuit, there is no digital distortion.

I never thought of the JMP-1 as being an "all tube pre amp" but then again I read about things before I buy them. But, hey...whatever floats your boat and works for you is fine with me, as long as you're happy with it.

Well thought out and informative reply:thu:

I agree on the tubescreamer nto tube amp scenario you described:it's silly and if you need a box-a solid state box to overdrive your tube amp you bought the wrong amplifier.

And Yes pairing the JMP-1 w/a good quality tube poweramp(I ran one thru my VHT 2100 el-34 Classic and KT-88 loaded 2150) and it was much better than I thought.

But even Marshalls Nick Bowcott told me at NAMM that the JMP-1 derives alot of clipping via transistors.Yes the tubes help the analog path to achieve a warmer tone but not all the overdrive derives from just those two 12ax7s(even all 4 stages)

I have heard many live performances via the JMP-1(alot from Megadeths Mustaine as he used em for many years) and i liked the tones-bt it wasnt as good as his work with a Bogner Fish Preamp/VHT 2150 that he used to record Rust In Peace,Countdown and Youthanasia(I'm not comparing preamps-just tones).

I still like the reply you offered up and my hats off to your insightful and well done post.

• Members

Well thought out and informative reply:thu:

I agree on the tubescreamer nto tube amp scenario you described:it's silly and if you need a box-a solid state box to overdrive your tube amp you bought the wrong amplifier.

And Yes pairing the JMP-1 w/a good quality tube poweramp(I ran one thru my VHT 2100 el-34 Classic and KT-88 loaded 2150) and it was much better than I thought.

But even Marshalls Nick Bowcott told me at NAMM that the JMP-1 derives alot of clipping via transistors.Yes the tubes help the analog path to achieve a warmer tone but not all the overdrive derives from just those two 12ax7s(even all 4 stages)

I have heard many live performances via the JMP-1(alot from Megadeths Mustaine as he used em for many years) and i liked the tones-bt it wasnt as good as his work with a Bogner Fish Preamp/VHT 2150 that he used to record Rust In Peace,Countdown and Youthanasia(I'm not comparing preamps-just tones).

I still like the reply you offered up and my hats off to your insightful and well done post.

Thanks, all before my third cup of coffee even. :D

To be sure there are always better sounds to be found and different combinations of pres, PA's, speakers etc, subjective as it always is. I'm not too bothered by the fact that there is diode clipping in the JMP-1 if it gets me to where I am trying to go at the time. I'd like to try it with the VHT 2/50/2.

Of course 6 months from now it may be something else entirely getting me there but, hey, half the fun is in the journey...:D

• Members

Yes I agree....and thanks again for an intelligent and great reply.I am always a constructive critic and dont wanna make enemies here(my opinions can rub some the wrong way-especially as a new comer) but I appreciate and enjoyed our constructive opinions here.We dont think too much differently-as I think our "FEEL" for the solid stae as opposed to tube amps is our differing makeup when judging what we like to play thru.

did that make sense???oh well!

Take care:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have both a jmp-1 and an mp-1 in my main rack.

Both are great.

The 3TM has so much gain it's pretty useless for low gain crunch. It has also a lot of bite so for old school warm distorsion I could never find what I needed.

On max overdrive, the 3TM sounds like a couple of hot rodded marshall. Amazing "in your face tone" that can cover hair metal to modern metal.

the JMP-1 is better fitted for hard rock, blues as it sounds warmer. Great for anything from early clapton to Led Zep

They complement each other very well.

Also, the JMP-1 reacts VERY well to an overdrive pedal. Actually, I found out that setting the gain at 10 and boosting the input with an MXR ZW overdrive sounds a lot better than pushing the gain to 20.

It seems to ruin the point of having a rack but the bottom line is that is sounds great and since I use a GCX switcher, the MXR is switched with midi so it's still very practical.

Archived