What Preamp?

• Members

Hey guys i was just lookin for some input on preamps. I am using a digitech 2112 right now and it sounds good but no matter how hard i try i cannot get a good tight bottom end out of it and it just sounds so digital. Thats the best way i can describe it! I play very high gain and seem to always have to fight that fake distortion sound. I was wondering if the rocktron voodu valve has this same processed sound or should i look for something else? Also how is the voodu valve in the gain department...I need a lot of gain to get my sound. Also how is the peavey rockmaster? I'm willing to change my rack and go with a dedicated rackmount preamp if that will solve my problems........I really just want a high gain distortion sound that really sounds good......sorry for the long post but i really need some input from other guitar players here....Thanks in advance

• Members

For the Budget Minded:

ADA MP-1 Rocks, as mentioned.

Rocktron Piranha is really tubular sounding but hard to find. Much more so than their other units, IMHO.

Mesa Studio Pres seem to be easy to find under $400 and are supposed to be phenomenal sounding if you like Mesa.

The Rockmaster is really underrated and if you don't need MIDI can be had almost criminally cheap. It's supposedly a precursor to the 5150, I'd guess the gain on tap should be sufficient. ;)

If you're willing to go even higher priced there's tons of stuff. :)

• Members

I just started playing with my tech 21 psa-1, tons of gain, without a lot of the fizzies that I was experiencing with my previous v-amp pro. So far I am really glad I finally got myself the tech 21, very nice unit. The presets sound great.

• Members

Originally posted by jrh_67

Do any of you guys have any experience with the engl 530? How do they sound? They seem to be a good deal if they sound good and have enough gain.

I've been considering that one too... My understanding is that for flat out brutal they are the heaviest of the bunch mentioned in this thread, so far! :cool:

• Members

Listened to the sound clips of the engl 530 and i must say it really sounded AWSOME! The thing i don't understand is how you would hook up your multieffects and such and get control of everything with your feet.....I'm kinda new to this type of setup as i've been using a digitech 2112 with everything built inside.

Archived