understanding rack units

• Members

hey everyone,

I have been a little bit unsure how to go about buying rack units and what to get. To be quite honest I have no knowledge on the subject and I have been playing for four years! I have my half stack and a multi effects box, but I really want to start learning about rack units and effects loops, preamps, power amps, all the stuff I consider more "professional" than a POD XT live ahah. So if anyone can begin to help me understand, any consideration would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even an article on rack units and all the stuff I mentioned above.

To make my question a little bit more clearer, I was looking at a marshall jmp-1, A rack tuner, and something like a g major rack unit, power supply, noise reduction. . . etc . . .

for example, I was looking at a mesa stereo tube power amplifier . . . Have no idea what the hell it does, I am not going to buy it, but I don't now what it does.

To make matters worse . . . . .what is phantom power ?

thanks again guys.

• Members

A rack setup is basically splitting up the preamp and power amp section of a regular amp with effects inserted between them or on effects loops.

There are two kinds of loops series and parallel.

Series is when the preamp 'output' is connected to the effects unit 'input'. Drawback is that the guitar signal completely passes through the effects unit so you run the risk of a cheap processor possibly degrading your signal.

Parallel is when the guitar signal is borrowed from the preamp and later mixed in with the dry signal. Although parallel is the prefered method, if your preamp doesn't have a parallel efx send you have to use a line mixer to mix the dry and wet.

Phantom power in a rack setup means the MIDI cable is also carrying the power for the MIDI pedal.

You need to look into rack/MIDI companies like:

http://www.axess-electronics.com/

http://www.soundsculpture.com/

Jun

• Members

Start with a preamp. If you're thiking of a JMP-1, then just buy one.

Next is to choose a power amp; but more specifically, what kind of power tube. Most common are EL34's, or 6L6's. People will tell you why either one is better, but just find out for yourself, and test drive a few amps.

Archived