Isolating rack units?

Yek

• Members

Yek I used thin sheets of anti-static foam to isolate the chasis of each rack unit from one another. I also took out any blank face plates too since I would get a continuity signal between them and a unit above or below.

• Members

No but then agian non of the units I use have any venting on the top or bottom. Also you only need the foam to cover the area of contact not the entire unit itself. I got the idea from Terri if you remember her. My whole iso system was to line the rack rails with a thin ruber adhesive strip, used isolation washers on all the rack screws, these have a plastic sleave so niether the screw shaft or head make contact with the rack ears. The anti-static foam between any unit that would come in contact with another unit and then made custom cables according to the RANE note 110 for connecting ballanced and unballanced gear. Worked out really well, very quiet rig.

• Members

Got the foam from a packaging supplier that we use at work. Told him I needed "samples" for a potential customer so he gave me several sheets. The isolation method for grounding is a PAIN. You have to go through your rig at each step with a volt meter and check for continuity between each piece of gear, the rack rails, the rack screws. You can have a path to ground between the chasis, the audio cables, the rack rails, or the power cables and it was not until I had isolated EVERY single path and peice of gear that I no longer had a continuity tone between any peice of gear and any other part of my rack. I think that is why some people elect to go the other direction and use a universal ground and start grinding rack rails and mounting ears to make everything one big ground wire. Go to www.hugeracksinc.com and do some searching and you will find some lengthy threads on the subject.

Archived