Does the power amp matter?

• Members

Originally posted by geek_usa

Hello, just a question - does it matter which kind of power amp you use? will it effect the sound if it's a cheaper power amp? i'm looking to power a jmp-1.

Thanks!

A good quality Tube Poweramp will enhance the sound of any preamp-especially the JMP-1.A cheap(affordable) poweramp will work for you as well,but you'll end up wanting one that compliments your preamps versatility factor.Also cheaper poweramps will sound thin,not quite loud enough,wont provide enough note "bloom" and will fall short under several other categories,the most important one being tone and reliable function.

Once you try a good quality poweramp for your rig it'll be hard to go back to the affordable/cheaper one.

But in a pinch and when necessity is the mother of invention(and ca$h is tight) YES an affordable do it for now poweramp will suffice.

• Members

Originally posted by rickenbacker198

+1 I really prefer the mesa with this preamp though, a 2:90 will do a fair job as well.

Thats very true but you've NEVER Heard the JMP-1 really scream unless you hear it with a VHT 2150 or 2100 Classic.

I've tried the Marshall thru both my VHTs mentioned and its a Beast!!!!!

And I'm not even a fan of the JMP-1 in any respect(no flame intended or insult offered)

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

No, that power amp doesn't matter.

People who buy expensive ones are just wasting money on purpose to mess with poor people.

:mad:

I like your sense of humor.......:thu:

But a GOOD or GREAT Tube Poweramp will actually increase/improve/accentuate the sound quality of a decent preamp beyond the realm of that in a cheaper or less quality Poweramp.

I'm NOT a gear snob by any means but the Marshall JMP-1(which I am NOT a fan of but is a decent unit & owned by many here) played thru either of My VHT 2100 classic or 2150 Poweramps sounded almost godlike.

The ADA MP-1 (which I still own) sounds IN{censored}INGCREDIBLE thru either of my VHTs as compared to lesser poweramp units I've used and heard in the past.

For {censored}s & giggles I plugged my ADA MP-1 output into the FX return on My Bogner 101-B and thru a Bogner straight 4x12(loaded with vintage 30s) and I was almost in tears.The Most hot-rodded Marshall tones with the *edge & girth* from the ADA made me a believer at almost 10 seconds into the initial tryout:thu:

Good Tube poweramps DO matter:wave:

• Members

I use an older Carvin all tube stereo power amp, I think the key is to advoid the transitor/non-tube power amps as they will be harsher, I have a JMP-1 which I run out to a tc electronic's G Major, stereo out to the stereo in's on the Carvin power amp to a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab I have wired in stereo, sounds sweeeet!

• Members

I will say i just got rid of my velocity 120 and replaced it with a classic 50/50 tube amp and when i first hooked it up i could not believe the difference in sound!! I used to play through a 5150 head years ago and i guess i had forgotten just how good a real tube power section sounds at volume.........SWEET!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by H2Shredder

A good quality Tube Poweramp will enhance the sound of any preamp-especially the JMP-1.A cheap(affordable) poweramp will work for you as well,but you'll end up wanting one that compliments your preamps versatility factor.Also cheaper poweramps will sound thin,not quite loud enough,wont provide enough note "bloom" and will fall short under several other categories,the most important one being tone and reliable function.

Once you try a good quality poweramp for your rig it'll be hard to go back to the affordable/cheaper one.

But in a pinch and when necessity is the mother of invention(and ca$h is tight) YES an affordable do it for now poweramp will suffice.

This is an example, of one of the most informative and quality answers that I've ever seen anybody give on a gear forum and I run a gear forum .....;)

This was unbiased and truthful and I just wanna say that this is one of the reasons that I hang in the MonsterRack when I'm away from my forum.....

Great answer H2.:thu: :thu:

Having said that, I do use a cheaper solid state amp for it's sine wave signature(ala Dimebag tone)and because I use an Xt Pro and the two sound better together, in my opinion, although I just recently sold my VHT 2/90/2 which as you've said, sounded excellent with some of the other tube preamps that I've had and I'd definitely go that route again if I was matching, say a JMP-1 or a Triaxis or GP3...:cool:

So there's always that aspect too, the fact that I can afford a tube amp but prefer a solid state one, instead and it just so happens that they are more affordable;) ;)

There are also alot of great used, tube poweramps to be had at bargain prices as well ....;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was just wondering, does anyone make Tube power-amp kits? I'm looking to build a rack-based rig, as i like my effects and i get sick of setting up all the pedals..

i guess what im asking is, is there a list of tube based power amps around? google does produce results, but there are a lot of hi-fi amps in there as well...

• Members

Originally posted by HERC

This is an example, of one of the most informative and quality answers that I've ever seen anybody give on a gear forum and I run a gear forum .....
;)
This was unbiased and truthful and I just wanna say that this is one of the reasons that I hang in the MonsterRack when I'm away from my forum.....

Great answer H2.
:thu:
:thu:

Having said that, I do use a cheaper solid state amp for it's sine wave signature(ala Dimebag tone)and because I use an Xt Pro and the two sound better together, in my opinion, although I just recently sold my VHT 2/90/2 which as you've said, sounded excellent with some of the other tube preamps that I've had and I'd definitely go that route again if I was matching, say a JMP-1 or a Triaxis or GP3...
:cool:
So there's always that aspect too, the fact that I can afford a tube amp but prefer a solid state one, instead and it just so happens that they are more affordable;)
;)
There are also alot of great used, tube poweramps to be had at bargain prices as well ....
;)

Thank you for the very cool response to my post-I was trying to be helpful and I appreciate the "open ears & minds" attitude you have.I appreciate the positive reply as well.

While many of the *GOOD* poweramps mentioned are expensive-I say that in a pinch when $$$ is an issue it's all in the hands and players heart as to what he or she sounds like.And while a quality unit will enhance and compliment anyones tone-things are getting pricey.

I remember when I saw the 1st Bogner Ecstacy 101-B I was thinking of buying-and it went for $2000:eek:

I was like:for 2K it better be the last amp i buy(it wasn't) but I think WE as a Guitar playing community are just getting "used to" paying more & more,and it's a taxing and stressing situation to buy gear thats priced too high BUT delivers the sonic goods.

I still play my ADA MP-1 Preamp(bought it for $75.00 in L.A. many years ago) thru my $800 VHT 2150 poweramp and thats one helluva affordable and KILLER tone generator for a Metalhead like myself.

Best of luck to you in ALL your endeavors-I give you one "atta Boy"!!!:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Type of tubes make a difference in tone as well.

El84

El34

6L6

Each tube type gives you different sonic qualities.

So, you need to research what type of tone your looking for.

Bright & Punchy.

Deep & Ballsy.

Smooth & Warm.

Some power amps, like the Carvin TS100, let you select

what type of tube you want to use.

TS100 allows for either 6l6 or El34.

Since it's stereo, it has seperate Bias switch for each side.

So, you could run,say, the left with 6l6 and the right with El34.

• Members

Here's a cheap option!

(Works for me anyway)!

I use a Tech 21 Power engine (with Celestion)

My JMP-1 feeds into a Sonic maximiser and the result is the fattest crunchiest tone I've ever heard from my PRS Cu24

I needed a fairly low volume setup for small venues, and this does the trick!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

For the JMP-1 i suggest a Mesa Strategy 500 or 395. The Marshall 9200 sounds nice with it also.

A strategy 500 or 395? Where do you play stadiums? I played through a friends 500 with 4-4x12s. IT WAS LOUD!!! I'm suprised I can still have kids.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by pezguy

A strategy 500 or 395? Where do you play stadiums? I played through a friends 500 with 4-4x12s. IT WAS LOUD!!! I'm suprised I can still have kids.

:D

You have to learn how to tweak it for power tube saturation. Run the preamp VERY low and turn the power amp to about 5 on 1 side. Also use half drive. Amazing tones.

• Members

I loved running a hot signal into the 500 and not using half-drive.. The headroom and tightness of the lows (without Deep engaged) is amazing...

It's still too ******ing heavy and more volume than I really need. I've only had both sides to full volume 3 or 4 times... Even with wearing high-fi etymotics earplugs, my ears were still ringing after that.

• Members

guys, i totally forgot about this thread and passed it up until I realized that I don't like my carvin head, and I'm finally willing to go the extra mile for some real great {censored}ING TONES!!!

I'll be selling my carvin head and picking up a JMP-1 and a mesa 2:90 probably unless there's a better or cheaper alternative that isn't much different. BJ, i hope you can get online i'd love to talk to you about this. i'm not online as much since the move but hey it's all good. i'll see you when i see you.

thanks for the help guys! :)

Archived