Peavey Rockmaster or Digitech 2112

• Members

I have the option to buy a peavey rockmaster pre....How is the high gain distortion in this compared to my 2112? I am willing to give up all effects for a better high gain distortion sound and figure something different for effects. Just lookin for some input from others whom may have owned both....Thanks

• Members

I have one. The RM is a REAL all tube pre, unless you use the pull gain, and then there's some SS distortion that kicks in, but it sounds like horse{censored}. :D

The RM might be a big change from a processor type preamp, in that you won't get all the distortion pedal in a box amount of gain.

It's a great sounding piece, that's alive, and vibrant compared to the fuzzyness of a processor pre. Just get it man, and work with it awhile. You can always turn it out if you don't like it.

• Members

I've never played a 2112, but got a Rock Master a few weeks ago and it never lets me down. Mated with the Mesa 50/50 it compares nicely with my other amps - in fact it's my go-to rig now.

stuff1bo.th.jpg

• Members

I have a 2120 and I had a Rockmaster. The Rockmaster was the worst piece of junk that I've ever owned. The distortion was really weak compared to my 2120. If you put JJ Tesla tubes in your 2112 it will get some pretty kick ass distortion. The way that you adjust the EQs on the 2112/2120 makes all the difference in the world.

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

The rockmaster rules; the guy from Nile uses it and he knows his {censored}. It will kick the ass of any digitech piece of crap out there.

Who is "the guy from Nile"? He's from a river? If you think the Rockmaster is so wonderful post a clip so we all can hear it's magical tone. I've yet to hear anyones Rockmaster clip that sounds better than a cheap distortion box running DI. Make sure to use standard tuning not that drop tuning crap with the strings flapping. Once you have posted your clip I will post a clip of my "Digitech piece of crap" and we will see which one sounds better.

• Members

Originally posted by leadfootdriver

:D
Grow up. No carbonated fuzzbox preamp would/could ever sound better than a
REAL
all tube pre, or amp head.

Give it up mang. You're holding on to tight to all that artificial gain.
:thu:

Whether or not something is all tube is not a factor. I've used plenty of all tube amps that sounded like ass and some solid state amps that sounded good and vice versa. Even Marshall all tube heads have distortion circuits with diodes for extra crunch. The fact is that the Rockmaster sounds so bad even the digital distortion from the Behringer V-Amp kicks it's ass. It seems all the Rockmaster owners can do is talk smack about how great it is but when it comes time to pony up the sound clips they run and hide or make lame excuses. What is artificial gain?

• Members

I got the link to work by right clicking and downloading it. Your lead work is very nice but the guitar is sort of hard to hear amongst all of the FX and synths. Do you have something more traditional like dry chords [no FX] with bass and drums? Something like a straight forward 3 chord rock tune?

• Members

I've had a Stock Rockmaster Pre, a JerryP modified Rockmaster Pre and a 2112 with the 2120 update. Too some extent, this comparison is apples and oranges. For distortion, the Rockmaster sounded the best. For cleans, the both sound great (but different). However, you have to give the 2112 major cudos for a fantastic effects/single routing engine. I have a Digitech GNX3000 right now and, aside from the tone of the GNX3000 being better than the 2112, the 2112 is overall, a much better unit than the GNX. I don't know what you have for components right now, but if you already have your own effects, go with the Rockmaster. The distortion is much fuller and I also feel it is much higher gain. If you need a lot of flexibility, the 2112 is the way too go......

.....ultimately, I switched back to using an ADA MP-1. It gives me full, tube sound, an excellent chorus effect and one of the best clean channels made plus, it gives me multiple patch assignments.

• Members

Originally posted by tats_dragon

Leadfootdriver,

Sounds very good! What was the signal chain?

Ocnor,

I have a feeling you had a faulty Rock Master with corroded efx loops, which is a very common problem. For me, nothing digital like a V-amp can touch this preamp.

Jun

It is possible that I had a bad one. When I bought mine for 50 bucks without trying it out I thought it was a bargain. After cleaning it inside and out and replacing the tubes the sound was very disappointing to say the least. It had a very weak distortion that didn't even sound as good as a Marshall valvestate. After about a month of trying to coax a decent tone from it I got fed up and sold it to the pawn shop [after pulling my good tubes] for 60 bucks and never looked back. If corroded efx loops are a common problem that would explain why all of the rockmasters that I've heard sound like dung. If you guys have one that actually works then count yourselves lucky and "rock on".

• Members

Yeah, the EFX loops were a problem I had with mine as well. I had to go through mine and completely resoldered all of them as well as clean the connection points (litterally sanded some of them). The work around in the meantime was to run small patchcords from the send back into the input.

• Members

Originally posted by tats_dragon

Leadfootdriver,

Sounds very good! What was the signal chain?

Ocnor,

I have a feeling you had a faulty Rock Master with corroded efx loops, which is a very common problem. For me, nothing digital like a V-amp can touch this preamp.

Jun

TriAxis>Simul 2:90>MPX-1 in the loop>Octava 012>ART Pro-MP>digital recorder.

And yes, I had the problems described. I had one, but offed it 'cuz I needed the loot, but never had a problem with that one. 'Got another one, and it needed to be serviced a bit. Did it all myself, and is now good.

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

I like thick and meaty so let's hear it!

Go to JerryP's website he has a few clips.

http://www.fjamods.com/

Also FalseRevRG has some fantastic clips of that unit. I can't get my sound to translate to tape at all. But my rockmaster kicks ass. It is the one constant in all my amp trading. Had it for almost 10 years or so.

Cheers Lucius

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

Go to JerryP's website he has a few clips.

Also FalseRevRG has some fantastic clips of that unit. I can't get my sound to translate to tape at all. But my rockmaster kicks ass. It is the one constant in all my amp trading. Had it for almost 10 years or so.

Cheers Lucius

Those files don't seem to exist anymore. All I get is "Not Found"

Archived