Rack Heat Issues? Advice!

• Members

I'm in the process of saving up for rack gear. Im thinking of a Carvin TS100 poweramp and a Randall MTS preamp(the one with the four spaces for four diff preamp modules). Since this setup is all tube, I realize it will produce a certain amount of heat.

Should I leave space between units to allow heat to flow better?

Will that cause stress on the ends that are connected to the rack rails causing them to potentially bend or break?

Should I mount a fan in the back to cool the gear?

Should I just stack everything on eachother because the heat emission is not a real issue?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Ts100 and the Randall modules?

Thanks!

• Members

It depends on the units and the rack.

I have some space between my power amps, theough it's not needed. My VHT stuff has built in fans that cool the power amps from front to back.

Some units have top venting. If yours do, then try to leave a half space between the units.

A fan is not needed unless you are planning on using a hatplate and cooking the power tubes.

I wouldn't worry about preamps.

Steve

rack2.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Helldogg

This is funny, I had that same question I was going to post!

Someone answer PLEASE! Billy,
Duke
?

I am guessing your calling me? :)

I personally would say leave atleast 1 rack space between each rack unit that has tubes. it would be good for air circulation. If you can mount a fan in the back, that would be a good idea, but leaving a space betweent he units would be good.

The carvin TS100 should have a fan, which should help the air circulation inside the poweramp. I am not sure if the RM4 has a fan or not, but if it does, then thats a bonus, if not, then I wouldnt worry about it.

Good luck!

Archived