Newbie questions

• Members

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to the whole rack thing- I recently sold my "traditional" amp, and started building a rack setup which consists of the following:

-Furman (sp?) Power Condish

-Mesa/Boogie TriAxis (v. 2.0)

-Alesis Quadraverb 2

-Carvin TS 100

-Rolls M 128 MIDI Buddy foot controller

My quandry is this: What can I do to minimize the mess created in the back of the rack by cables, power cords, etc.? Are there products made that can "sheath" them together so that they're not all tangly and disorganized?

Also one more question- I want to supply phantom power from the Triaxis to the MIDI Buddy. The problem is that to do this, I need a 7-pin connection on the TriAxis side, and a 5-pin connection on the MIDI Buddy side. Does anyone know whether a standard 5-pin DIN will supply power to the foot controller from the TriAxis, or is there a special cable I have to get?

That's it for now, but I am new to the rack thing, completely, so any other advice/criticisms would be extremely helpful. Cheers.

-Chris

• Members

You would be best of making all your cables to exact lengths. Then use zip ties and zip tie holders to manage them all neatly, keeping power cords and signal cords as far away as possible. Most people keep them on seperate sides of the rack when possible.

You can buy a 5-7 pin MIDI cable from Rocktron, I'm not sure if the 5 pin would work in your case but that's what I use with a Ground Control Pro and it works fine so far. Good Luck!

- Sacha

• Members

Thanks so much for your advice.

I don't want to sound completely ignorant, but since I am as far as this subject goes...

How do you shorten power cords? I'm alright when it comes to simple soldering projects, but other than that I'm in the dark. What kind of supplies would I need for the job?

• Members

you stick them to the wall of the rack or how ever you are going to lay them out. then take the slack and cut it off. There are plug assemblies you can get anywhere(walmart, hardware stores) then you attach the wires to corresponding terminals screws then seal the assembly. Real simple.

Archived