Rack in a briefcase.

• Members

In the interests of portability, I'm trying to put together a useable 2U rack system.

As I already have a Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp (1U) and an AKG WMS40 (1/2U) radio system to go in it, I'm looking for a half rack space preamp/processor.

Modelling is not a requirement (although it would be nice), but minimal drop out when changing patches is. I only use a few standard effects such as Chorus, Delay, Reverb (maybe Flange or Phase occasionally) and I have a wah pedal I'm happy with so I don't need to worry about Midi Expression Pedal wah stuff.

Any recommendations?

• Members

I'd suggest you put the wireless reciever on the rear rails and use a processor like a Rocktron Chamelion or Voodoo Valve. I'm pretty certain that there aren't any 1/2 space guitar preamps out there that are worth mentioning. The Rocktron units are pretty good sounding as preamps and have essentially the effect guts of their outstanding Replifex/Xpression units.

• Members

boss had a half rack processor that might be worth checking out....you might also be able to fit a POD or other desktop modeler in there. but yeah, best bet would probably be to move the wireless to the back....

or go with a floor processor like the boss gt series, pod xt live or valvetronix....that would eliminate the need for a floor controller for the preamp...

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

I'd suggest you put the wireless reciever on the rear rails and use a processor like a Rocktron Chamelion or Voodoo Valve.

Yup, Great choices, given their onboard FX, etc and good sounds.

A few other contenders:

With FX:

Peavey TubeFex

ADA MP-2

Digitech ValveFX

Roland GP-100

Boss GX-700 or VF-1 (probably the 1/2 rack unit you were thinking of)

The Boss units drop out a bit on patch switches , IIRC. The GP-100's fairly quick though... it requires a fair bit of editing to get good patches going but can be made to sound quite good for a Boss/Roland unit. Really, I think they may have peaked on the modeling front with that unit. ;)

If you're willing to go 1U straght up pre's and don't care about FX, you can go pretty wild:

Rocktron Piranha

ADA MP-1 or MP-1 Classic

Triaxis

JMP-1

Engl 530

There are lots of damn good ones.

Heat'd be the only thing I'd worry about in that scenario.

• Members

Interesting comment about the rear rails. The rack cases I've dealt with only have front ones so I'll have to look into that.

The Boss VF-1 unit is definitely one I'd thought about, but I've read various reports about the dropout when changing patches and that had put me off.

Years ago, I remember coming across a similar dropout problem in some other processor with amp models and the problem was only supposed to occur when changing between patches with different amp/cab modelling being used. If you stayed on the same amp/cab or didn't use it at all, the problem was largely mitigated. Anyone know if this holds true of the Boss/Roland units?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a two space rack with a Rocktron Piranha and Intellifex and I use a Midi Mate controller. This is a very simple and effective rig because the Piranha is a very versatile tube based pre that can get clean and heavy tones with ease and the Intellifex is a good basic effect unit that allows your signal to remain analog. The intellifex has reverb, delay, chorus, pitch, etc and both units have hush noise reduction. The Midi Mate gets power thru the midi cable so you only have one cable from the foot controller to the rack and one from guitar to the pre.

It don't get any simpler than that.

SKB sells a 2-space rack that's 10 1/2 inches deep that would work perfect.

There you go.

If you want to use the 8008 I'd lose the wireless and get a 1-space effect unit or go to a 3 or 4-space rack. I've looked for half space units of all sorts and there aren't any good alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Get yourself a Roland BOSS SE-70, it's half rack space and does killer tones all day long! Scott Henderson has one in his rack as well as many other well know pros. Billy Gibbons has come to rely on one also. If you can't find an SE-70 and SE-50 will do a fine job also. Another killer unit is the Sony unit in the photo below too.

TheGRooveking

SonyRocktronHK.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by TheGrooveking

Get yourself a Roland BOSS SE-70, it's half rack space and does killer tones all day long! Scott Henderson has one in his rack as well as many other well know pros. Billy Gibbons has come to rely on one also. If you can't find an SE-70 and SE-50 will do a fine job also. Another killer unit is the Sony unit in the photo below too.

TheGRooveking

SonyRocktronHK.jpg

Are all those yours? I'd love to have a couple of days playing with that lot!

Archived