Rocktron Xpression Effects???

• Members

I'm looking to buy a rackmount multi-effects unit. I am running a JCM 800 and a JMP-1. I saw the Rocktron Xpression unit, and it got good reviews through Harmony-Central and Musicians friend. I wanted to see if anyone has this unit, or knows of any issues with the unit, or can recommend something else???

Also, how best would I set up my rig???

Do I run my guitar into the JMP-1, then out into my JCM-800, and have the effects unit in the effects loop of the JMP-1 or JCM-800????

I'm new to rack gear and midi (I'm using the DMC Ground Control Pro footpedal), so I'm not sure how to throw everything together.

• Members

I had an Xpression, which had incredible quality effects.

The only reason I sold it was that I just don't like the interface on Rocktron gear, having a couple knobs to turn in order to find what parameters you need to change...

I prefer TC Electronic gear for quick access to settings without scrolling around...but the quality of the effects is excellent in the Xpression.

How are you running your setup right now with both the head and the preamp?

If you have the Ground Control Pro, I'd suggest getting the GCX switcher and that will let you do a ton of different things with your setup.

Are you trying to play thru one or the other or both at the same time? Axess-Electronics has some nice pieces for allowing that.

The quick and easy answer is to run your guitar into the JMP-1 then into the Xpression, then into your power amp.

I prefer running my effects units like that instead of in a loop so I have better control.

Now that I re-read your post, I don't see you having a power amp listed, so I'm guessing you're using your JCM 800 for power?

If that's the case, I'd still run the JMP-1 => Xpression => JCM 800 Loop Return. That should bypass the preamp section of the head. I assume with a setup like this, you're not playing out?

That'd be a lot of gear to lug around if you're only using the head as a power section.

• Members

i've had both the g-major and the xpression. both units sound wonderful and clear. i thought the xpression felt more solidly built, but i've never had issues with the g-major either. i'd highly recommend any of the Rocktron FX units...but they take a little getting used to with regards to interacting with them...not the most user friendly at the beginning.

i ran my FX with a preamp and power amp setup, and always put the FX between the pre and power...never in the loop. I've also run the Xpression with other heads and had no issues using it in the FX loop. I've heard the g-major has some issues with some guitar FX loops, but I've never experienced this.

if you have a preamp, head, and FX...i'd run as stated earlier. Preamp->FX->FX return loop in head. this will bypass the head preamp section an only use the power side of the guitar head.

• Members

I'm in the process of changing over from a straight JCM800/4x12 cab and a bunch of foot pedals, to the midi foot controller and rack gear.

I thought about getting the GCX switcher as well, and run some of my pedals with that, but I am seeing if I can get away with not spending the additional money.

I am using the JCM800 for power, but was thinking of using it for the Dirty channel as well...I guess I would need the GCX switcher to make that happen???

Should I get rid of the JCM800 head, and move to a rack power amp???

I'm really new to all this midi stuff, effects loops, etc...I've always been just a Gutiar->Pedals->Amp guy....

Archived