Which eventide to get?

• Members

I recently recorded an EP in the studio with quiet a few guitar harmonies over a rhythm guitar and Im trying to recreate it live. I bought a H3000 and the diatonic shifting on it is great, but really not im looking for. I know Eventide units are expensive so its kind of hard for most of us to have tried a lot of them, but Im just curious which to get. The Eclipse looks cool, but I really just need harmonization and it is overkill for my rig. I could get a GTR4000 or DSP4000 on ebay if it would sound noticibly better than theH3000. The problem I have with the H3000 is that when it messes up tracking the note, which is fairly often, it creates a pretty non musical digital "vibrato" that is pretty obvious. It also has somewhat high of a delay time in order to get the harmonization done. And the harmonization itself sounds pretty digital and obviously processed. Im well aware no processing around can recreate two actual guitars harmonizing, but it just sounds pretty synthetic.

Please don't think this is a pretentious post or a plug or anything, if I could go to a guitar store and test Eventide units and A B them I would. You can listen to the songs here. Listen to Unstoppable Force to hear the harmonies im trying to achieve live.

• Members

Before you blow your cash on more gear, make sure that when you're playing with the harmonizer that your technique is flawless. Finger scratching and pick scratching will wreak havok on the tracking. You might want to try backing off on the tone knob on your guitar too.

-W

• Members

I have an H3500 and I agree with your comments on the harmonizer.

I also have a G-force and the harmonizing is a lot less digital sounding and the tracking is way more stable. I would look into that but I guess for a few hundred more you can get an Eclipse(which i've never heard btw so I dont know how it compares to the H3000).

There are a lot of settings in the H3000 to make the pitch shifting more natural. Theres a part in the manual where they go into this. Good luck.

• Members

+1 on the G-Force. I have one and a DSP4000 and I think the G-Force tracks much more accurately and you rarely, if ever, hear any artifacts. The DSP4000 is more editable and the User Defined Scales are much better IMO but the GF gets the vote for best quality from me.

Modulation effects and multi-voice chromatic pitch shifting is where the Eventide shines for me.

• Members

Originally posted by starsnuffer

Before you blow your cash on more gear, make sure that when you're playing with the harmonizer that your technique is flawless. Finger scratching and pick scratching will wreak havok on the tracking. You might want to try backing off on the tone knob on your guitar too.

-W

I have a DHP-33 digitech. I never have any tracking problems.:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by gnome

I recently recorded an EP in the studio with quiet a few guitar harmonies over a rhythm guitar and Im trying to recreate it live. I bought a H3000 and the diatonic shifting on it is great, but really not im looking for. I know Eventide units are expensive so its kind of hard for most of us to have tried a lot of them, but Im just curious which to get. The Eclipse looks cool, but I really just need harmonization and it is overkill for my rig. I could get a GTR4000 or DSP4000 on ebay if it would sound noticibly better than theH3000. The problem I have with the H3000 is that when it messes up tracking the note, which is fairly often, it creates a pretty non musical digital "vibrato" that is pretty obvious. It also has somewhat high of a delay time in order to get the harmonization done. And the harmonization itself sounds pretty digital and obviously processed. Im well aware no processing around can recreate two actual guitars harmonizing, but it just sounds pretty synthetic.

Please don't think this is a pretentious post or a plug or anything, if I could go to a guitar store and test Eventide units and A B them I would. You can listen to the songs
here
. Listen to Unstoppable Force to hear the harmonies im trying to achieve live.

DSP7500 or H7600. The Eclipse is a bit too dark for my tastes but you're on the right track.

final%20dream%20rig.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by succubus

Where do you guys get those drawers the pedals are in?

I've been looking at different drawers only see what looks like black plastic ones with the open front here.

Ebay

The one in the pic is actually a tray that is fixed. I am replacing it with one of the ones like in the link I provided.

Locking Rack drawer will also be going in my rack to store cables, fuses, tubes etc...

Archived