More on Power Amps... suggestions needed

• Members

Once again, I need some opinions.

I'm looking to purchase a power amp to be used solely for live work. As such, it'll probably be solid state... this is for several reasons. First, I DO own a tube power amp, but it weighs 35 pounds, and I want to cut weight wherever I can. It strains the back, and when I'm an old codger, I'd like to be able to stand up straight while I'm whacking people with my cane. Second, I want to be able to fit everything necessary for live business into a 4-space unit... which means I'll need a single-space power amp. Since single-space tube power amps are rare and EXPENSIVE, I've decided to go the more economical route... solid state. Hell, when you're playing {censored}ty clubs, the tone difference isn't THAT big.

So here's my real quandry- which amp to get. Obviously, I need something with enough power to cut through, something with dependability, and something that fits within my +/-$200 (US) budget. Any suggestions?

BTW, I'm running it with a Triaxis...

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

rocktron velocity 150

rocktron velocity 120

ada microtube 200

ada microtube 100

carvin dcm150

that's about it:(

Good choices! I thing Samson make a single spacer too.

I have the Carvin DCM-150 and love it...it's plenty loud and sounds great into a 4x12 cab stereo or mono.

• Members

Don't think Marshall have made them for awhile but they did Valvestate rack power amps back in the 90's which were 1U.

I have a Marshall 8008 which is 80 watts a side into 4 Ohms which is plenty loud enough for most gigs.

• Members

Yeah... ideally, I'd use a Mesa 20/20. A buddy of mine has the Tri/20 combo, and it sounds TITS. I see them on eBay, but they run about $600... a little outside the budget right now.

Thanks for your suggestions, everybody.

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-EL84-20-20-power-amp_W0QQitemZ130001887895QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a marshall 20/20 you should be able to get for under $400. It's not as good as the mesa, but you get what you pay for.

I have a marshall 20/20 in my house, good amp, it's pretty light considering it has 4 el84's and 3 12ax7's

-W

Archived