Behringer FCB1010, Phantom power?

• Members

Does anyone know if this midi controller accepts phantom power with a 7 pin connection, or does it need a wall wart?

Does anyone know any other good midi controllers (preferably with expression pedals) that run on phantom midi power?

Thanks!

• Members

Useful chart!

Couple of others that might be worth a mention.

Rolls and Nobels midi foot controllers can be phantom powered down a 5 pin midi lead.

The Rolls MP1288 Midi Wizard (have to find one second hand as they aren't made any more) has inputs for up to 8 continuous controllers (expression pedals to you and me).

The Nobels MF-2 (still in production according to the Nobels website), has 4 inputs for expression pedals and also has 4 programmable relay switches for channel changing amps etc.

Hope this helps.

• Members

They can't be phantom powered in the conventional sense and are supplied with a kettle type lead. However, there is a mod that can be done quite simply that bypasses the internal transformer and allows you to take 12V AC down pins 1 and 5 of a standard MIDI cable. Yes it is a botch job but it's relatively simple to do and works. Here's the instructions from the FCB1010 group:

====================================

To convert the FCB1010 to use ONLY phantom power, you simply need to clip only one of the pair of yellow wires running from the power transformer, you can leave the other one connected. You then must run a pair of wires from where the yellow wires connect to the pcb to the pins 1 and 5 on the midi out jack. If you want to have the option of using ac power as usual, the best route would be to use a dpdt switch to connect the yellow wire you cut and to disconnect one of the wires that run to the midi out jack. However, you can use a standard single pole switch to simply reconnect the yellow wire, but with that route you are actually running 12VAC down pins 1 and 5 to the midi device you are controlling, but as pins one and five are rarely used (except for phantom power, but if that was the case you obviously wouldn't be using ac mains to power the board). I used the second approach, as I rarely use the FCB1010 away from my rack, and when I do it is with the VAmp, which doesn't use pins 1 & 5. It works like a charm and now I only have one cable running to my floorboard. To supply the phantom power, I used an old 12VDC adapter and ran the cord into the midi cable end at the rack side and soldered it to pins 1 and 5, running both cables out of the back of the cable end.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived