Carvin TS100 experience

• Members

Anyone have any experience with this poweramp? How does it compare to Mesa and VHT 50/50 poweramps?

Right now I'm using mesa and marshall 20/20 watt amps with EL84's but I'm looking for more headroom and more volume (2 4x12's instead of running a single 4x12 in stereo).

The Carvin is so cheap I'm tempted to try it out, but I want to hear what you guys think first.

I'm using a Randall RM4 as a pre-amp and a G-major

-W

• Members

Hey man,

I used to own Carvin's older design tube poweramp. the T100. While it was good and loud, I thought it lacked couple of things.. and I didnt know exactly what. later on I sold it and I used the money to purchase a VHT 2502. To be honest, the difference is night and day.

The VHT is much more organic sounding. Tighter and definitly worth every buck.

If you can save up your money a little more and find a used VHT 2502, you'll be laughting later.

other wise, they're pretty good poweramps. I had a chance to try the TS100 and it was good.. but it couldnt really "keep up" with the VHT.

Good luck!

• Members

I have an older T100 that I bought for my recording rig. The price was definitely right, and the fact that it can run 6L6 or EL34 is cool...although I'm not doing that currently. However, it has less of that "tube vibe" than the Peavey Classic 60 I use live, so I'm guessing that the same thing other people are mentioning.

Oddly enough, I was testing my rig with a VHT, and it kept cutting out. I've since made a point of sticking with inexpensive gear that is also cheap to repair if necessary.

• Members

Another option is to order new tubes from EuroTubes.com where you can state whether you want more headroom, mid breakup or early break up.

I'm putting the same rig together - Mesa 20/20 with RM4.

How do you like it so far? Just got my RM4 last night so I have only spend a couple of minutes with it.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

Another option is to order new tubes from EuroTubes.com where you can state whether you want more headroom, mid breakup or early break up.

I'm putting the same rig together - Mesa 20/20 with RM4.

How do you like it so far? Just got my RM4 last night so I have only spend a couple of minutes with it.

I just picked up my RM4 recently as well. So far I really like the blackface and XTC modules, but I can't get a good tone out of the recto or modern modules (I bought mine used, that's what it came with). I also have a clean module which sounds good too, but since the blackface gets a pretty good clean tone when I roll the volume back a bit, I don't have much use for another clean channel.

It seems really muddy on the low end, and I can't get it to clean up. It does sound better with the mesa then with the marshall 20/20.

I may swap the 3 tubes in the RM4 chassis to see if I have issues there. I don't think the modules use their tubes at full power since they don't get very warm, so I don't think swapping them will make much of a tone difference.

If anyone has setting suggestions to get the recto module to sound like a recto, I'd appreciate it. (I don't particularly like recto tones, but I need a good metallica like tone for some covers).

-W

• Members

what about the matching rt2/50

ok it has both el34 on one side and 6l6 on the other but that could offer nice tonal qualities too.

i'll be looking into the egnater m4. i'm interested in 8 channels, with twin ( maybe blackface ), SL, Erect and vox. cover all tones i say but i may get a single channel 1086 randall...

• Members

The only reason I shifted from the RT2/50 to a Mesa 20/20 is weight. The Randall weighs a ton compared to the 14lbs of Mesa. The Randall is very nice though- you can even match closed back cab to the EL34 side and open back cab to the 6L6 side.

• Members

I got a Carvin TS100 + TN100 setup last year, but ultimatetly sent it back before the return date was up.

I found that the TS100 was lacking "balls" due to the EL34's that came with it.

I had a Mesa 50/50 at the time with 6L6's and a VHT 2/90/2 with KT88's.

The TS100 didn't come close to either in punch, clarity or balls.

The TN100 was GREAT with the exception that it lacked enough gain. It was like it went to 10, but if it could have taken the gain to 11, I would have kept it. The overall quality and tone in the unit was incredible. Just not for metal.

Archived