HELP with my rack setup!

• Members

I have a good idea of how I will layout my new rig that I am puting together over the summer, but I want to make sure that I am utilizing the rack gear and midi footswitch(Ground control) in the best way possible, because I have never owned rack gear before. Any suggestions or comments you have will be GREATLY appreciated.

Guitar>GCX audio switcher:

I will have 4 pedals in four loops on the GCX: MXR phase 90>Boost(haven't decided which yet)>TS-9>DD-3 all housed on a sliding velcro rack shelf. These will be the middle 4 switches on my Ground Control...

GCX>TC G-Major:

I will set the G-Major in a fifth loop on the GCX and have a switch on the ground control set to bypass the G-Major.

Powered by Furman M8, all housed in an 8-Space SKB or Gator rack; I will likely throw in a korg tuner eventually...

This will feed into the input on a 100w Carvin MTS 2x12 combo

I will control all of this with a Ground Control Pro which I will have set to the mode with 4 presets and 8 on/off commands. I will set the remaining three top switches to on/off effect commands (cc) to the G-Major, and the bottom 4 will be for presets on the G-Major. I will keep the 1 of each bank as a neutral preset.

Does my plan make sense? Any suggestions?

How will the G-Major sound in front of the amp? Would it sound better if I put it in the Carvins effects loop and use the GCX to bypass the G-Major using the G-Major's built in bypass switch? I am not sure if my tone would be as pure as if I put the G-Major in a GCX loop getting true bypass...

Sorry for the length...Thanks for any reply!!!

• Members

OR is it possible with the GCX and Ground control for me to put the G-Major in the Carvin's effects loop as well as having it in a GCX loop... Would it work if I put the G-Major's input and output into the send and return of the GCX loop and then put the in and out from the GCX in the Carvin effects loop? I think so...Genius!

• Members

Originally posted by TMan the 2nd

OR is it possible with the GCX and Ground control for me to put the G-Major in the Carvin's effects loop as well as having it in a GCX loop... Would it work if I put the G-Major's input and output into the send and return of the GCX loop and then put the in and out from the GCX in the Carvin effects loop? I think so...Genius!

I don't know if I'd call it "genius," but yes, you can do that.

Wes

• Members

I think you are close...

I have mine set up this way (not the same amp)....

Guitar --->any pedals on the floor (like wah, volume etc...)--->guitar in on GCX ----> out the back to in of loop 1---->all the pedals you want before the amp input---->last out of the pedals---->amp input (the preamp)----->FX send on back---->in on GCX loop---->GCX send--->G major input----->Gmajor output---->GCX loop return---->GCX out----->Carvin FX return.

Are you using the G Major for tuning. If you get a pedal tuner, you can use the feed through on the GCX back to your pedalboard, and then just create a mut patch on the G Major for silent tuning.

:)

• Members

Is the Carvin loop serial or parallel? If it's parallel you really wouldn't need to put the G-Major in a GCX loop, you just cable it up in the amp's fx loop as normal and then bypass it by MIDI which effectively mutes the output. Of couse with it being parallel you'll still be getting the dry signal from the preamp direct to the power amp.

Archived