Recommend cheapish FX(delay or general) Rack unit for Guitar

conho

• Members

Hi guys,

i need some recommendations. Basically i want to exchange my boss DD20 delay, for something controlable via midi. I really need midi changing at the moment for live use.

Also, this rack unit is to go in front of the amp, not in the fx-loop. So i was looking at something like the Gmajor. Anything sub 400$ with ok delays!

Cheers

• Members

Nope, my amp is a single channel all tube amp. No fx-loop either. So i definatly need to run the delays before the input. I have tried the DD20 in front and it was ok. But its supose it might be different being a pedal.

Any1 else had a problem with this?

Any ideas other than the Gmajor?

Cheers!

• Members

Just checked the TC site, G major input impedance is 20k which is low impedance.

I I'm pretty sure you can run the G major infront of an amp. I've run my accoustic into it, and plugged it into a board...so I dont see how an amp would be different.

If your acoustic has a preamp, the output impedance is matched with the input of the G major.

Unless conho is using an active guitar more than likely there will be treble loss.

A better suited unit for a before-amp-non-active-guitar rack mount efx is the Rocktron Xpression with an impedance of 470K.

Jun

• Members

Ok i have no problem checking out other units. If your facts are right, would the 470k impedance on the Xpression be sufficient?

How are the delays on the Xpression?

How about the replifex? In terms of impedance, and delays?

Thanks for the useful info!

• Members

The impedance is perfect for your application on both Rocktron units asuming you use a passive pickup guitar. I believe the main difference between the Replifex and the Xpression is the two relays switches omitted on the Xpression.

If I was forced to use one efx unit in series, I would have chosen one of these units because I've read users rave about the 'direct' mode where the guitar signal never gets converted to digital and back to analog again.

Jun

• Members

Actually ill probably be using Active pickups. Emgs.. Why the diference?

Another good thing is, ill be looping this unit, so it will only be in the chain when i need it. Most of the time my guitar will be going straight to the amp. All i need is it to sound like a decent delay when i put my signal through it and to the amp.

Does any1 have any preference for delays, Xpression Vs. Replifex?

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by conho

Actually ill probably be using Active pickups. Emgs.. Why the diference?

Another good thing is, ill be looping this unit, so it will only be in the chain when i need it. Most of the time my guitar will be going straight to the amp. All i need is it to sound like a decent delay when i put my signal through it and to the amp.

Does any1 have any preference for delays, Xpression Vs. Replifex?

Cheers

If you're looping with something like a GRX4 or a looper with a built in buffer, then a G-major will be fine in front of the amp. The buffer will boost the signal to line level.

-W

• Members

The emg output impedande for the EMG81 is 10kOhm and for the EMG60 is 10kOhm also. Those are the pickups ill be using.

And Yes actually i will be using the GRX4 by axess!

Are you sure the Gmajor will be ok with a buffer? Any1 else tried this?

Cheers

Archived