Help with which processor to get?

• Members

Hey guys, around Christmas or so, I was planning to get a new fx processor for my rack as I have found my PODxt simply doesn't cut it for the music I want to implement into what I already play.

I'm hoping to get very ethereal and spatial delays and reverbs out of the unit, harmonization isn't really that big of a deal, something I would play around with but I can't see myself using it too seriously. And as always, crazy fx are a plus.

the two units I was looking at are the Eventide Eclipse 3.0 and the Kurzweil KSP8. I've heard clips of the Eventide and of course, we know the things it can do, but the other day I came across the KSP8 and from what I've heard from people, it's above the Eclipse in terms of quality of sound but doesn't bother with harmonization, which really doesn't bother me. Also the KSP8 has tons of different delays and reverbs, which really interests me.

Suggestions/comments?

Thanks guys

• Members

Not sure what your price range is, the Eclipse is damn expensive though.

I really like my FireworX for that kind of stuff. It doesn't do harmonization, but honestly, every time I've played with a good harmonizer everything comes out sounding like Vai (only not nearly as good). Come to think of it, nearly every time I hear someone using one I think of Vai.

Anyway, the FireworX will definatly get you your "out there" sounds, I love playing around with it. Honestly it's more of a studio tool by design but it does have some guitar presets and some prominant guitarists have used it. It has great filters and it does the normal chourus/delay/reverb stuff too.

I use it for my industrial/ambiant stuff and I'm starting to use it with my instrumental rock/metal band for some ambient type effects (and the good old "guitar through the am radio/phone" thing).

You can get them used for $700, although they're about $1200 new.

-W

Archived