JMP-1 --> VHT 2/50/2 --> Mesa 2x12 Cab wiring help

• Members

I'm a n00b with rack setups and I need some help clarifying some things. First of all, I have a JMP-1 and a 2/50/2 coming in this week, but I have no clue how to wire it up. I looked at some pics of how to do it correctly and I seem to understand except for one thing concerning the cab...

When wiring the power amp's channel A and B to a cab, do both need connections have to be made into the cab?

My Mesa recto 2x12 has two plugs in the back: an In and a paralleled out...or better yet, just tell me how do wire the whole rack up instead. =)

-Chris

• Members

Originally posted by Bucketboy

When wiring the power amp's channel A and B to a cab, do both need connections have to be made into the cab?

The simple answer is that your power amp is in effect two valve power amps. Like any valve head, they each need to have a speaker load on them or they'll blow when you put some signal into them so yes both do need to be connected to something

As such the question is whether you cab is stereo wired or whether the second jack is simply an out to run another cab in parallel. If it's not stereo wired, you either need to rewire it to stereo or get a second cab for the second channel.

Good luck with it.

• Members

hey! how i wired my exact same rig (except for the cab)

output of jmp1 into input of VHT (note, since both are stereo devices, there should be 2 cables)

output of channel A on vht into left input of cab

output of channel B on vht into right input of cab

make sure you set the impedence correctly though

• Members

Originally posted by gargamelesp

hey! how i wired my exact same rig (except for the cab)

output of jmp1 into input of VHT (note, since both are stereo devices, there should be 2 cables)

output of channel A on vht into left input of cab

output of channel B on vht into right input of cab

make sure you set the impedence correctly though

If he does that with his cab he'll blow up his poweramp.

Your cab is mono. You either need to just use 1/2 of your power amp (only one channel) or rewire your cab for stereo (easy to do).

-W

• Members

Originally posted by starsnuffer

If he does that with his cab he'll blow up his poweramp.

Your cab is mono. You either need to just use 1/2 of your power amp (only one channel) or rewire your cab for stereo (easy to do).

-W

How do I rewire my cab to stereo? =)

• Members

Originally posted by Bucketboy

How do I rewire my cab to stereo? =)

You have a 2x12 and you have 2 jacks in your cab. All you have to do is wire one speaker to each jack, and it will be stereo. Your impedance will be exactly what your speaker impedance is.

If you ever need to use the cab mono, you can still run 2 cables to it (most power amps and heads have 2 speaker outputs in parallel) and it will be a parallel setup, which is half the impedance of the seperate speakers.

For instance, you might have 2 16ohm speakers. Running in stereo you will have a left and a right 16ohm channel. Running in parallel you will have a single 8 ohm channel.

-W

Archived