How good is Mesa Boogie Triaxis?

• Members

Hi,

I've just come across a used Triaxis on sale for $800. I checked the prices and it is twice as less as it must cost used in my district. However, 800 dollars is not as cheap, so I tried to find any reviews about it to be sure, but failed. A few days ago I won a Rocktron Piranha which is not the same sound as people say, though not the same class of preamp.

So I wonder maybe it's a good idea to sell the Piranha and buy the Triaxis for $800+$200 shipment? But I don't know its merits and drawbacks.:confused:

Can you advise me anything on it.

• Members

The Triaxis is a professional Tube Preamp. It's used by the likes of John Petrucci, James Hetfield, Vernon Ried, etc...

If you like the Mesa sound, then I'd say go for it. I still conisder this the best purchase in my gear history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by slash81291

what about triaxis vs cae preamp?

Triaxis = 8 modes.

only about 3 of them were really useful

rhythm yellow (damn decent)

lead 2 green (very 80's in a killer way, but thinned out at REALLY loud volumes)

lead 2 yellow (awesome, AWESOME, AWESOME)

the CAE has a slightly better clean than the mesa. It has a much more variable sound.

the boogie lead 2 yellow had to have the bass at zero, it had to have the gain at 6-8, had to have lead2 drive at 7-8, etc.

when the manual gives settings, those are IT.

After a few days with the CAE, I still haven't scratched the surface of the possibilities.

The CAE also doesn't have the MIDI uncertainties like "Will it boot up correctlynext year( in ten years)?" My triaxis never had any problems, but I'd be afraid of what could happen in 10-15 more years of use.

They're both great, but I can't give a true comparison with such limited experience with my cae.

• Members

well tell me what you think of the cae when you get more aquainted with it. I am really trying to get something other than Marshall sounds in my rig--I hear the CAE is like a Bogner Fish and can do a good job doing AIC "Dirt" tones

I've wanted a Bogner Fish for as long as I've wanted a CAE.

I've NEVER heard a bad thing about the 3+ or 3+SE.

I've heard at least 5 people I trust say the Bogner Fish is:

overrated

WAY too expensive

not as good as the preamps in the uberschall or ecstacy heads.

I'll work on some AIC right now, since I already nailed 1994 Megadeth:D :thu:

• Members

well tell me what you think of the cae when you get more aquainted with it. I am really trying to get something other than Marshall sounds in my rig--I hear the CAE is like a Bogner Fish and can do a good job doing AIC "Dirt" tones

I figured it out, and I'm ripping the track as we speak.

I cheated a little bit.

I used a parametric with a notch at around 1800 hz.

since I don't have a wah, I have to approximate with the parametric.

I played selected riffs from Damn that River.

I think you'll be stunned at how good it sounds. I didn't experiment with mic placement or anything. I'm not using a alder body with a JB either.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=5026&alid=-1

• Members

I owned a Triaxis for 3 years and used it for gigs 2 out of those three years with a strategy 400 power amp, TC2290, Quardraverb, and an Eventide Harmonizer. It was awesome sounding for all types of sounds IMO, but I decided to get rid of all my rack stuff and go to combos with no effects for the last 6 years. Although this coming year I may get an TC G-Force (I see the slippery slope again!!!) It is really versatile, but I am happy with my Mesa Roadster/Mark IV setup.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

Triaxis = 8 modes.

only about 3 of them were really useful

rhythm yellow (damn decent)

lead 2 green (very 80's in a killer way, but thinned out at REALLY loud volumes)

lead 2 yellow (awesome, AWESOME, AWESOME)

Only 3 Modes Useful? I think not. You obviously did not spend enough time with the amp. I've owned the TriAxis for over 10 years and it is hands down the best tube/non-tube preamp produced to date. Every mode is useful. I will admit that some are more challenging (meaning you have to read the manual) than others.

Depending on the condition, $800 is a steal...and will be the only gear you buy that should you choose to get rid of it -- are guaranteed to recoup 100%+ of your cost.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzgear

Only 3 Modes Useful? I think not. You obviously did not spend enough time with the amp. I've owned the TriAxis for over 10 years and it is hands down the best tube/non-tube preamp produced to date. Every mode is useful. I will admit that some are more challenging (meaning you have to read the manual) than others.

Depending on the condition, $800 is a steal...and will be the only gear you buy that should you choose to get rid of it -- are guaranteed to recoup 100%+ of your cost.

Sure, I don't read the manual, okay:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members

I've had my Triaxis for a month now, and use at least 4 on the modes. Granted I stay on Lead 2 Yellow most of the time, but I have been able to dial in some very tasty Jerry Cantrell tones. Mostly on the Self titled album (XTC). However, they work really well when we cover a few Dirt songs in our set.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You were right. I was struggling till the price came over $1100; then I dropped the race. The final price was $1200 Though I won an Egnater IE4; not bad for the start. I will defenitely buy the triaxis as soon as I save some money again and get aware about some price things for used models.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

hey guys, i just bought the triaxis a couple of days ago. its a second hand unit. but ive been struggling with "SAVING" my presets. everytime i turned off and put the unit back on, my presets are all gone and it goes back to the factory presets. ive been following the instructions on the manual to press the enter key 2 times to save my preset. its there and saved before i turned it off. if i turn it off and on again, its all gone. anybody can help me ? thanks alot

• Members

I've wanted a Bogner Fish for as long as I've wanted a CAE.

I've NEVER heard a bad thing about the 3+ or 3+SE.

I've heard at least 5 people I trust say the Bogner Fish is:

overrated

WAY too expensive

not as good as the preamps in the uberschall or ecstacy heads.

I'll work on some AIC right now, since I already nailed 1994 Megadeth:D
:thu:

You can add me to that list.

I played a Blue Fish preamp and thought it sounded like hammered shit. IMO the CAE utterly crushes it.

My fav preamps of ALL time are: In no particular order, though I would put the Egnater M4 in 1st place because of sheer versatility. Special note regarding the Mesa preamps, the power amp you couple them with makes ALL the difference in the universe, to getting the most out of them.

Mesa Quad

Mesa Triaxis

Egnater M4

Egnater IE4

CAE 3+

• Members

What about the Triaxis vs. Rocktron Prophesy?

i used Rocktron Prophesy before. Personally, the sounding is way too digital. If its compared with Triaxis, i would say Triaxis is far more better. Yet, it depends on the "taste". There are so many effects on the Prophesy, its a part of the unit (comes with effects and distortion. :D

Archived