Two versions of the Lee Jackson GP-1000?

• Members

You remembered wrong.

There are two "official" versions, as stated, the Fender mod and the Marshall mod. The Fender mod GP1000's has "87xxxx" in the serial number. The Marshall mod has "88xxxx", which basically means what year they were built in.

However, the circuits vary alot from GP1000 to GP1000 even within the same year they're made. I've spoken with a guy who owns 5 of them and he told me that no circuit is the same and they all sound different.

The main differences between the '87 model and '88 model are:

1. No XLR direct outputs because he used it to free up a gain stage = more gain (Probably not that noticeable though)

2. Other capacitors for mid and bass. (There's probably more but this is what I got ATM and probably what changes the tone the most)

There is an '87 model with no XLR outputs which is called "transition model". Supposedly that one has the extra gain stage for more gain, but not the capacitors of the '88 model.

If I were you I would go for the '88 model as they say it sounds best. But probably there isn't much difference at all. GP1000 has a special sound. If you don't like a '87 model of it, you won't like the '88 either, so to say.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey folks,

Hope no one minds my resurrecting a month-old thread for my first post here, but I ran across this surfing the Internet.

Yeah, "the guy" that owns five of these GP-1000s would likely be me. I'd hate to think someone besides myself would also be that nuts... :D

Anyway, yes, there are differences, which can be detected in the most basic manner by checking the serial number. I'd spoken to Lee about some of these issues and he informed me that the change that was done to the '88 models was in response to distributor, retailer and customer requests that the GP-1000 reflect his Marshall mod circuit.

Even among the '88s, it's not exactly the Marshall mod circuit. For one thing, the '88s retain the tone stack after a gain stage, rather than incorporate a cathode-follower tone stack ala a Marshall 2203, 1959, 1987, etc.

I'd also noticed that the '88 uses different caps in the tone stack. The mid cap is .1

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Hey folks,

Hope no one minds my resurrecting a month-old thread for my first post here, but I ran across this surfing the Internet.

Yeah, "the guy" that owns five of these GP-1000s would likely be me. I'd hate to think someone besides myself would also be that nuts... :D

Anyway, yes, there are differences, which can be detected in the most basic manner by checking the serial number. I'd spoken to Lee about some of these issues and he informed me that the change that was done to the '88 models was in response to distributor, retailer and customer requests that the GP-1000 reflect his Marshall mod circuit.

Even among the '88s, it's not exactly the Marshall mod circuit. For one thing, the '88s retain the tone stack after a gain stage, rather than incorporate a cathode-follower tone stack ala a Marshall 2203, 1959, 1987, etc.

I'd also noticed that the '88 uses different caps in the tone stack. The mid cap is .1

• 1 year later...

Archived