Mesa 50/50 vs Mesa 2:ninety vs VHT 2502 vs VHT 2902?

• Members

Uhuh, very nice. I see, thank you. The reason I asked is that I've read quite a few reviews at the review section and found that people complained about reliability of VHT 2502 and 2902 and also a few times people have told me to regard the mesa 50/50 (old model, not the 2:50). I'm trying to track all models on eBay, but I havent decided which one to buy yet. I'm leaning to the vht 2902. With the mesa 2:90 I think I won't be able to practice at home.

guitarslinger, thank you again, your list helps a lot, though I understand everything might be subjective.

• Members

it has more power, but that doesn't mean it sounds better.......
:idea:

Maybe, I was just offered it here for about $1300. Accrding to the $1000 price that Jun pointed out, I think that amp would cost me the same or more, ordered I it from their website (because of the heavywiegh shipment costs). I'm not sure if it's really better that 2150 or worse but I think this Hammer is not that bad at all. I'm also not sure if I need its "all in one" features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I got a VHT 2902 (old model), but it's a bit odd. It's quieter than my Marshall 20/20 when I turn the level knob up to 1 o'clock. And I turn it after 2: o'clock it grows very very loud (still quieter than my 50 watt Randall RG50 based on two EL34), so I find is useless with the loudness set up less than 1 o'clock. And it's hard to control the loudness in a small hall. My cab is the Marshall TSL 2x12 (150 watts, 16 Ohms).

I got it used so I wonder is that a bug or I'm just doing something wrong or that simply shloud be so? But it seems any of its channel doesn't sound as a 100 watt channel.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

= 2:fifty has a midcut + more treble = more n00Bish sounding = gets thin at high volumes = not arena-worthy = can't touch the 2150.

That might actually work with my TriAxis. It's not as if I'm playing arenas (which the Strategy 500 would have been perfect for doing)... and I tend to find the Triaxis a little midrangy at low levels even with my Celestion loaded 4x12...

• Members

In this exact order according to brand.

1. VHT (no question)

2. Mesa

3. Marshall

4. Rivera

I have owned amps by all of these companies, the VHT 2/50/2, Mesa Strategy 500, 2:90, 50/50, Marshall 100/100, 50/50, and the Rivera TBR-5.

The VHT is FAR superior to the others. The Mesas are really nice, Marshalls are nothing to sneeze at either, the Rivera I HATED.

Now I had the Rivera TBR1 and TBR2 that were AMAZING, but the TBR5 with the Triaxis was AWEFUL. Thin, and flat sounding. nothing in comparison to the others listed. And I do like Riveras amps, just not their power amps. Worst one I've had.

• Members

I am looking at power amps. Right now I am using a Carvin DCM150 solid state power amp. I am on a budget because I am looking at getting an Egnater M4. I am almost 100% convinced to get a tube power amp. I am looking at the Peavey classic 50/50, or 60/60. I have heard a lot of good things about the 50/50, and since it is EL84 bassed I could pull half the tubes, and have 2x25 watts.

Does anyone here have experience with the Peavey power amps??

• Members

I'm considering the VHT 2/50/2 as well for my mesa studio preamp.

I've talked to several owners who all USED to own mesa power amps.

I've also read that the ENGL power amps aren't worth the price tags.

At first I was worried that the mesa wouldn't sound very good if used with a cheap power amp but last night, the fuse blew in my carvin valvemaster (100 watt 6L6) which I was using the power amp section of. The only thing available was a cheap peavey transtube 1X15 bass amp and it actually sounded pretty stinkin good.. for a SS bass amp. It didn't have the clarity that the VM and a guitar cab has but it let me know that the power amp won't affect the tone AS MUCH as I thought it would.

Archived