Any opinions on this preamp?

• Members

I join to the question too, though this piece of a wonder costs so much. After bidding a vht 2902 I feel echausted but I'm still collection some info for the future. I doubt the M4 is a sort of Recto, is it really?

I don't know..but it kills most everything I've heard (talking about the Egnater at least the amp does). I just want the rectifier for that Mesa recto tone. I heard some clips earlier from the Recto Pre and they sounded good.

Which one is the IE4 Egnater you have?

• Members

The Mesa Rectifier Recording Preamp. I heard a clip of some dude using it and it sounded awesome.

Anyone have it? Zach? I'm thinking of the M4 and this to get strictly Recto tones.
:wave:

I have a Recto Pre and I really like it. However, I am starting to want more versatility. I think it is much better suited to recording than live use. Don't get me wrong. It sounds good. But, I would prefer it work more like a head with the channel cloning bit.

• Members

I have a Recto Pre and I really like it. However, I am starting to want more versatility. I think it is much better suited to recording than live use. Don't get me wrong. It sounds good. But, I would prefer it work more like a head with the channel cloning bit.

What does the Recto Pre not have then in your opinion? What can't it do?

• Members

The Mesa Rectifier Recording Preamp. I heard a clip of some dude using it and it sounded awesome.

Anyone have it? Zach? I'm thinking of the M4 and this to get strictly Recto tones.

hehehehe,

I haven't messed with the Rectifier Recording preamp.

I have played Rectifiers, a bunch of them, and I've heard the Egnater Rectifer modules and well... Egnater All the way, mainly because of the sheer flexibility of the things. The M4, you're not stuck with only one manufacturers' thing ya know.

My $.02 :thu:

• Members

I had a Recto Pre, used it in my live rig for about 2 years...very nice. I sold it and bought a CAE 3+SE. The CAE cuts through the mix much more and has 3 channels instead of just 2 on the Recto. The cleans on the 3+SE kill the Recto cleans. The 3+SE has way more gain on tap.

I have not tried the M4 however Bruce's stuff is amazing!!!

Here is an audio clip of my Recto Pre: http://www.thesamhillband.com/satall.mp3

Here's a video clip of the same rig but with the CAE 3+SE

Please forgive the clean sound I am horribly out of tune...whoops.

Mark

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I had a Recto Pre, used it in my live rig for about 2 years...very nice. I sold it and bought a CAE 3+SE. The CAE cuts through the mix much more and has 3 channels instead of just 2 on the Recto. The cleans on the 3+SE kill the Recto cleans. The 3+SE has way more gain on tap.

I have not tried the M4 however Bruce's stuff is amazing!!!

Mark

I actually bought the recto pre off of Mark (awesome transaction, BTW), and really enjoy it! If you want the recto sound, you'll get it, plus it has a better clean that the traditional recto's.

Alot of the stuff my band is playing is more Marshall based, so i'm thinking I may have to keep the recto for that stuff, and use something like the CAE, or a Nitro, or something to get closer to that sound.

If that is the sound you are looking for, I'm sure you would be pleased.

• Members

I had the M4 and Recto preamp at the same time...when I got my ERECT module (or the Lynch Grail, since it's VERY close to the same tone) --- it was too close to a "Recto" tone to justify keeping the actual Mesa Recto preamp...

It's a good unit and all, but if you have an M4, you won't need it...nor will you probably ever use it (the M4 does everything it does, only better with more options....)

• Members

The CAE cuts through the mix much more and has 3 channels instead of just 2 on the Recto.

May be the mix was bad due to your Rectifier had ceramic capacitors? I compared two Rectifiers yesterday. One of them was ordinary and another one had a mod done by a crafstman. The craftsman says he replaced all ceramic and film capacitors that were critical for the tone, in a few branches in the cirquit. That's a usual sort of work Voodoo Amps does. The craftman says ceramic capacitors and stuff like that shouldn't be used in good guitar amps and pres and usually artists may order custom rectifiers from mesa that have no ceramic capacitors inside. Early models of rectifiers didn't contain ceramic caps. The man says mesa did it only to make the recto cheaper. And he says that's why usually the recto tone is so muddy, though it shouldn't be.

Now, well. Yesterday I checked out two of the preamps. And found that the rectifier with the mod sounds brighter and has more clarity and not as muffled and indistinct as the non modded pre. He says that the modified preamp will better sit in a mix. And a lot of pro recording studion brought their preamps to him for mods, since the mod better suits for recording needs too.

Imho, the non-modded pre sounded also good (standalone).

So I'm hesitating which one to get. If I get a modded one it will not be concidered as the original rectifier pre or on the countrary, it will be closer to the original recto sound? Well I don't know. Can you advice anything on that?

Thanks.

Archived