Crown power amp for a rack guitar system

• Members

The Crown is a decent amp for what your doing but I prefer the QSC stuff. My guitar player uses a $99.00 Nady power amp that I laughed at when he brought it in. That was two years ago without fail.

• Members

XLS-202?

is that one of the new ones?

The new crown stuff is Chinese.

You're better off with some old crown stuff like the microtech, powerbase, macrotech, etc.

It was all made in Elkhart with unrelenting quality control.

It's all pretty reasonably priced if you buy used.

• Members

SS amps are usually rated between 8 and 2 ohms. They will run at 16 but at a power loss. The XLS 202 will still give you plenty of power. Also, People in China need to eat too. I have never had a failed Chinese product.

• Members

Have you been able to run successfully your QSC at 16 ohms?

SS amps are usually rated between 8 and 2 ohms. They will run at 16 but at a power loss. The XLS 202 will still give you plenty of power. Also, People in China need to eat too. I have never had a failed Chinese product.

• Members

I can't say that I have personally run an SS (solid state) amp at 16 ohms but in SS amps running at higher ohmage puts less strain on the amp. Most people run SS amps at lower ohms to get the most amount of power out of them. This gives you the option of adding more cabs later. As far as blowing speakers, You are more likely to blow a speaker by clipping a SS amp than over powering your speakers. A 50 watt SS amp could easily kill a 1000watt speaker if the amp is driven into clipping. Valve amps and SS amps are almost opposite in many respects. On a valve amp you want to overdrive it a bit to get grit but on a SS amp you need to keep the amp from clipping so you do not blow your speakers. Also, if your speakers are rated at 50 watts RMS. With a solid state amp you can run twice that into your speaker as long as you do not clip the amp. Clipping kills speakers. Are you looking at the crown for quality or a bargin? You may want to find a Stewart amp or something with less weight. Although if you are used to running a high powered tube amp you are used to the weight.

• Members

I play Crate SPA 200W SS poweramp into 2x8ohm wich gives me 70W per side on a 2x100W cabinet. Everithing works without a problem. It covers Peavey 6505 head easily. My speakers are not even 100db rated.

I could run it on a 2x16ohm but with 50W power per side.

• Members

I run a QSC 2450 into a pair of 300 watt floor wedges.

At 8 ohms, thats 450 watts per side.

I've pushed it to crazy volumes with no ill effects on the speakers.

SS amps are normally rated at 2 ohms.

So your XLS-202 is rated at 600 watts.

At 8 ohms thats only 200 watts.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

XLS-202?

is that one of the new ones?

The new crown stuff is Chinese.

You're better off with some old crown stuff like the microtech, powerbase, macrotech, etc.

It was all made in Elkhart with unrelenting quality control.

It's all pretty reasonably priced if you buy used.

Crown used to be in Elkhart? I had no idea...

I use a QSC power amp with my PA at work (for a radio station). The thing is very road stable. It gets banged around quite a bit (though it is properly rack mounted) and I worry more about the PA speakers than I do about the amp.

• Members

Hey tnttnttnt,

I don't know what kind of guitar preamp you'll be using it with it, but it's going to sound harsh. I've gone down this road already, using a stock ADA MP-1 preamp with either a Fender 2150 power amp (300 watts) or a Rocktron Velocity 120 power amp. It always sounded harsh to me, though the 2150 was reliable. The Velocity 120 power amp tended to overheat and cut out at gigs so I got rid of it.

Guitar George

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm running a Mesa Quad Preamp and Korg A3 into an IVP preamp/equaliser and thence into a Crown XLS 602 Power amp.

This gives me about 350w per side into 2 8ohm EV 12Ls.

I'm still working on sounds but it sounds promising at rehersals and at home.

I used to use a Mesa Stratergy 400 power amp but it was too heavy and Tube upkeep was too expensive. Beautiful sound; Most of my current sounds are based on the sounds developed when I had this power amp.

Naturally the cleans and FX sounds are really lovely: the distortion sounds I've worked on sound killer, but I need to trial them at a gig to see how they blend.

It's a different ballgame with a large SS or Tube power amp; all of your distortion comes from the preamp, pedals and FX. You have to work a little harder to get the right sound.

If I want power stage distortion I just take my MKIII, switch it down to 25watts and crank it.

I'd recommend The XLS 402 or bigger for more headhoom, SS amps don't tend to sound as loud as Tube amps; and as the other posters have suggested there is a danger of clipping the amp into the speakers and damaging them.

• Members

Carvin made in U.S.A.:

Check out the price, specs, connectors, etc. Looks good anyway...

Carvin power amps are very transparent and they are built way better than QSC. The QSC amps have cheezy plastic shafts on the volume pots that wiggle like wet noodles. I used to run a 1000 watt carvin into 4x12 Marshall cabs back in the early 90's and it sounded great.

• Members

I have a carvin DCM150 that I just got with my ENGL E530. I find that it sounds great!! I am running a 1-12 cab at home, and I have a 2-12 on order. I like the sound, and it has an EQ expand switch which cuts the mids. I find this handy when playing around with some old Metallica riffs. I have not had a chance to do an a/b comparison with a solid state vs tube power amp, but I think that at lower volume levels it will be verry similar.

Archived