BOSS GTPRO

• Members

Has anyone had any experience with the BOSS GTPRO rack fx processor?

If so, would you recommend it?

I have read the reviews in the review section here, but none of them offer any constructive criticisms on the the unit (with the exception of one post).

Have you encountered any problems with the unit?

Any minor details that render the unit sub-par?

And how does it compare to having the boss stomp boxes?

How does it compare to other FX processors (within or outside the price range)?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx

• Members

They don't get much love because the COSM amp models tend to be poorly regarded, so not many are willing to use it as a preamp and if it is viewed solely as an FX unit, their price makes them look way over-priced in comparison to units like the G-Major (which costs around $300 less street).

• Members

It's basically a rackmount GT-8 with a few extra routing options. Had one, sold it pretty quick. As Elric said, it's a waste of $$'s to use as strictly an FX unit and the COSM models are ok at best.

• Members

From what i've read abroad, the G-Major has some serious issues in terms of freezing and the parameter knob breaking.

I would only be using it as a midi FX processor.

Also, looking at other comprable units in a similar price range, the POD XT Pro doesnt seem to have the same sonic freedom as this unit.

Any further thoughts?

• Members

I have one of these but only keep it as back-up incase my valve stuff goes down. With valve you get warmth and the feeling that you are in control, with stuff like the pod or the gtpro you get a textured sound no real body. I stopped giging it after the second show too many variables just takes too long to get a balance that i'd accept I'd spend the evening adjusting lead and clean levels eq ing this and that. in a studio probably a must have but for me never in a live situation. Great effects,cheaper than buying all the pedels great for widdling at home. If you have to buy one get a valve power amp to drive it maybe it'll suit your tastes.

• Members

ive got a gt6 that i was going to upgrade to a pro. i did alot of research/testing and found it was a good unit. not much better then my 6 to warrant buying it though. if my 6 got stolen id buy the pro instead. the routing is way better ill admit. ive got a pod proxt and for FX the gtpro eats it alive. amp models are meh. in comparison to the gmajor etc, i prefer the boss units. thats just me though.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'm happy with mine. I haven't had a lot of experience with other effects processors to compare the quality of the effects themselves, but they all sound good to my ears. The amp modeling, like all digital amp modeling in my experience, is sub-par when compared to a real amp for recording, but I chose the GTPro over the G-Major because I wanted the modeling simply for practice and tone exploration purposes with headphones.

• Members

I've had my GT-Pro for about a year now, i've got a few songs online you can check out tone-wise, but these were done a while ago and with tweaking, could prob be a fair bit better. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=636583&content=music

If you want me to record a few examples for you (or have any questions), send me a pm listing the type of sound you're going for and i'll try to record it asap.

To be honest, I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it. The amp sims may not be perfect, but they still can sound damn good if their set right. I've found that setting the high cut to about 6-8khz with most of the distorted patches improves the tone immensly. It takes away any fizz that you may get from using high gain and really smoothes out the sound.

Anyway, to answer your questions as above:

1. Yes I would recommend.

2. No problems so far.

3. Only niggle i have is with the spring reverb setting, which sounds really fake. It's not a problem for me, as there are a number of reverbs within the unit which you can use instead and all are fully editable.

4. As far as comparing it to the stomp boxes, I've only ever used a boss metal zone pedal and was never that impressed. The metal zone sim on the GT Pro seems usable enough though with the right pre-amps.

5. I've only been able to compare this with the Pod XT Live & Pod X3.

For recording direct, i think the pod's just clinch it, especially the Pod X3, but for live use, if your running through a power amp into guitar cabs (as opposed to direct into the P.A), I think I'd stick with my GT Pro. It just sounds more 'real', especially through a valve power amp.

I run mine in stereo through a mesa stereo 2:50, into 2 2x12's - a Genz Benz G-Flex & Orange with V30's. It really does sound amazing!

• Members

From what i've read abroad, the G-Major has some serious issues in terms of freezing and the parameter knob breaking.

I've been touring/gigging/recording with my G-Major for years. It never froze, and the knobs are just fine. Take good care of your gear, and it'll be just fine ;)

• Members

QUOTE]

+1 Mine broke twice so for me thats a deal breaker. Its no secret that they have questionable build quality. I finally went for the xpression wich is solid but not as nice as the gmajor in terms of being easy to use and flexable.

• Members

I have read the reviews in the review section here, but none of them offer any constructive criticisms on the the unit (with the exception of one post).

Thanx

Hey man I don't have a gt-pro but I do have the Gt-8, which is almost the same thing. I would highly recommend that you get it. The effects sound really nice, and the cosm preamps are good for when you are away from your tube amp. just put on some headphones and your ready to go. ever since I've had it i have never had any problems with it. it's built to last. trust me mines been up and down without a case. Another thing that is nice about this unit is that it's way more assingable and versitel than any boss stomp pedals IMO. One thing to remember is that some effects do take some tweaking to get it just the way you want to, therefore you must read the manual more than once. I've had mines over a year and I still have to look through it once in a while. Just go ahead and buy it or be like every body else and buy a G-major. I f you ever have any questions on how to use your gt-pro let me now i'll help you out.:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've had the GT Pro for about a month now and I really like the sounds I'm getting out of it. I just do home studio stuff so it was just what I needed to get virtually any sound I wanted. I run it through my Line 6 flextone II amp which gives me 4 variations of each GT Pro patch.( 200 pre sets )

• Members

Thanx

I love mine, but I'm using it as an effects processor...not as a preamp. :)

• Members

I have a new GT-8 in the box for sale.

I play jazz and its more box then I can use.

Would want $350 and S&H. Paid $450 and tax

PM me if you want.

You might consider the Boss ME-50 then. It's a little more stripped down and super easy to use...all knob based...no menus, runs on standard 9v adapter or batteries. I have two of them...one for my pedalboard and one for use at home. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If I had it to do over again, I'd get one instead of my PodXT Pro. I just feel like it's got the best balance between a simple, user friendly interface and flexibility. The movable loops are worth the price of admission, IMO.

Archived