DigiTech GSP-1101...In Review

• Members

The GSP-1101...In Review

DigiTech FINALLY makes good on the promise of digital modeling

GSP1101.gif

First off, let me say that while I prefer analog gear, I am of the "if it sounds good, it IS good" school of thought, so a well made piece of digital gear is just fine by me.

That being said, since digital modeling technology has hit the market I have been less than impressed with the offerings over the years. I've owned a few different Line 6 Pods, a Line 6 Flextone III amp, a Boss GT-Pro and I've spent several hours with various other modeling products from Vox, Roland, Marshall, Fender, etc. and, with the exception of the Line 6 Echo Pro rack, Line 6 Verbzilla, and the Boss DD-20, I haven't been overly impressed with any of them...especially the amp models and distortion sounds.

One unit that I took a chance on recently was a DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory. This was a major deal for me as I have been the biggest critic of DOD/DigiTech gear for the last 15 years. I've just never been satisfied with it, whether it was the features, the sound quality, the long gaps between program changes, etc. I basically vowed to write them off until they at least had seamless program changes. For me, if a unit doesn't do that, it's pretty much useless.

Anyway...I was very impressed with the versatility and sound quality of the Expression Factory. I did end up selling it when I needed the money, but when I had it, I used it a lot in the studio...my only beef was that it could do so much, I would need at least two or three of them on stage to use live unless I wanted to be tweaking knobs all night...but the sound quality was great, the wah, vibrato, Whammy, chorus, etc. all sounded great. The distortion models weren't amazing, but they were functional and still some of the better digital distortion models I had yet to hear.

So with renewed interest in things DigiTech (and a desire to get some of the same sounds I was getting with my now sold EX-7) When I heard that DigiTech was coming out with the GSP-1101, I was very interested in seeing what it could do and I picked one up at AMS. Folks...I was not prepared for what I experienced.

While the GSP-1101 is not without it's faults... they are minor compared to the sound quality and functionality of this unit. This is beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best sounding, well built, digital modeling unit under $1000 on the market today...Period!

Let me start the actual review with my review setup...Basically I use vintage style single channel tube amps (this one in particular was a Emery Sound modded Fender Blues Jr. with a Celestion Greenback speaker) a variety of nice analog pedals (FoxRox/Keeley/Analogman/Skreddy/ElectroHarmonix/etc.) and an American Standard Tele with a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge and a Fender Noiseless Tele neck pickup). Live I use a Plexi and a Twin in stereo or Valvetech Hayseed 30 heads (well...I will in a couple of weeks when they arrive). Live I will be running the 1101 in one of the loops of my DMC Ground Control Expander and using it for effects only (no amp/cab models), but for review purposes I ran the guitar straight into the 1101 and into my amp.

Setup was a little tricky but not too bad. There is a single output knob and no clipping LED...I suspect that this unit has so much headroom that the LED isn't necessary (I cranked the unit well past unity gain and still no distortion from the unit itself), but it would still be nice to have. There was also no input level control...again, it didn't seem to need it as my guitar (which has really hot pickups) didn't cause the unit to go into audible distortion. It's best if you have a true bypass loop box of some kind so that you can not only hear how the bypassed unit affects your tone, but also to make it easier to set the unit for unity gain.

I found the bypassed signal to be very strong, clean and very much like the sound of my setup with the guitar plugged straight into the amp. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first and most important test for ANY rack processor...if it doesn't sound good bypassed I return it...and I've done so with many other units. It's a real sticking point for me and I won't compromise on this at all. With my amp, guitar and GSP-1101 all set and ready to go, I'm ready to check out the effects.

Now...if you're like me, the first thing you do is go to the first user patch location and turn off all the effects, noise gates, EQ's, etc. and start from scratch. From there I proceeded to audition each effect on it's own to get an initial impression of the quality of the particular effect and, if it's supposed to be modeling a particular effect, make any direct comparisons to the actual unit it's supposed to be modeling. That being said...the GSP-1101 is DEEP! There's a seemingly endless supply of effects on hand...but what makes this particular unit shine over many other lesser products out there on the market today is that MOST of them are actually useful and do what they're supposed to do. There's not a lot of filler effects in the GSP-1101.

I have to admit I usually hate digital distortion/overdrive/fuzz/compression/etc. and have mostly used digital for modulation, delay, reverb and pitch shifting effects, but the GSP-1101 is the first digital unit I have used that I would actually consider using the digital distortions in a live situation

• Members

Nice review!
:thu:

You mentioned the need for seamless program changes. The GSP-2101LE, 2112 SGS, and 2120 VGS all have this feature as well as the ability to morph from one preset to another. I know..morphing sounds gimmicky but it can be quite dramatic if use properly.

Didn't you need to buy a separate chip for seamless program changes on those units? :confused:

• Members

Didn't you need to buy a separate chip for seamless program changes on those units?
:confused:

No extra chip is needed for the 2112/2120 to do seamless patch changes. The GSP 1101 looks like a toy when compared to the 2120.2112,and 2101.

• Members

It's more closely related to the RP350 than the GNX3K, or any of the workstations. Think of it as a more (completely?) transparent, better sounding RP350 with some new features and possibilities.

There's a few owner's here that could give you better info if you have specific questions.

I'd have to give it a try then. I had an RP350 and didn't really care for it. I think mostly because I didn't like the way it sounded through the front end of an amp. As a preamp, it may work better. I had a GNX3000 and like it in terms of the effects and distortions but it seemed to have an overly compressed tone to it and didn't feed back like a real amp does.

I had similar issues with the Zoom, etc. Liked the G7 and G9 but didn't care for the G1/G2. So far, I'm pretty much a die hard Vox Tonelab user in terms of sounding like a real preamp/amp.

• Members

I'd have to give it a try then. I had an RP350 and didn't really care for it. I think mostly because I didn't like the way it sounded through the front end of an amp. As a preamp, it may work better.

I don't think any 'modeler' type box is going to sound that hot through the front end of an amp... Imo that's a bit redundant; it'd be like playing one amp's preamp into another's. I think these boxes really prefer a 'clean' signal path like straight into the power amp.

That said, I was recently checking out an RP350 and thought it was a big improvement over any Line 6 or Boss gear. Not quite up to my AxeFx, but a pretty good bang for the buck. I'd really be interested in checking out the GSP1101 if it's even better than the 350.

I really like the simplicity of the Digitech as well. I know the fixed signal chain arrangement has taken some heat, but honestly it's the logical path for most fx and you'd probably set something similar up in real life. I really dug the Tone and Effect libraries, a couple of knob twists and good tones was close at hand. As mfx boxes get ever more powerful these days, I personally find it's very easy to get sucked into programming rather than playing.

• Members

On the DigiTech website for this product, it states the product has pickup modeling. However in the manual it doesn't mention this feature.

Can someone who owns this unit conform that it does/does not have this feature?

I've used DigiTech in the past and liked them (for the price), and I think I'll pick up one of these units. However I have to say that the DigiTech website is horrible, the forums are awful (there is no GSP1101 section at all) and there are no sound clips of the GSP1101 on their site whatsoever.

In addition, I've had some bad experience lately with asking them questions via email, maybe I should just be calling the 800 number. Basically I do my research before spending this kind of money and they're making it hard for me to do that research. Thanks to everyone here posting their reviews, it really helps.

• Members

not sure if they have the pickup sim. mine is at the studio but I'll check later. products change during production. I never cared for the sim on other Dig gear. too much of an eq shift for me.

GSP is too new for their forum some say. give it a week or so since it just came out. dont go to their workstation forum since its not a workstation. it might be listed on the RP sound comm.

one thing i had with the 350 was the model preamp was sharp and then got drained by the effects when you added them in. the GSP does not work like the 350 in that way. preamp stays sharp even with effects cranked. prob why 2 dna2 chips were used instead of 350's one chip pony. or, 4 cyl to 8??? :cool:

authentic??? as long as I keep in my head that models are synthetic digital versions and I'm not swallowed by words like "authentic" then I'll be okay with preamp models for a while.

it's like a nice 8x10 portrait copied in photoshop. from a distance they look the same!

• Members

authentic??? as long as I keep in my head that models are synthetic digital versions and I'm not swallowed by words like "authentic" then I'll be okay with preamp models for a while.

Personally, I don't care how 'authentic' any tones are. As long as they sound good, I am satisfied. I think some people get way too hung up on that aspect.

I see Digitech now has a marketing video for the 1101... I think they could have done a much better job with this ad campaign.

• Members

Oh yeah, this Digitech GSP1101 sounds awesome. I was using a Marshall JMP-1, a Marshall EL84 20/20 amp, a dunlop rack wah and Rocktron Xpression in a rack. The GSP can replace all but the amp. I had to do the expected tweaking to find my tones, but it's all in there. Amazing really.

Hats off to Digitech, they really came out with an astounding product here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello, is there any other review than the (very good) one from Death Pimp ?

ps: I was wondering, I have a very good reverse reverb on my RP1, is it still possible with this unit because I don't think so by reading the specs.

Thanks

Hey there. Unfortunately there is no reverse reverb or reverse delay on the GSP-1101. :(

• Members

I again Death Pimp,

I ve read this on guitarworld forum :

Some effects are hard to master, I've been trying to get one to do that fade in.. like the guitars do in the beginning of "Orion" it's turned out to be a challenge, even though I know the unit can do it (it does it on preset 9Cool..

I know there's no reverse reverb but, maybe this one sounds a bit like one or, absolutly not ?

thanks for your time.

• Members

I again Death Pimp,

I ve read this on guitarworld forum :

Some effects are hard to master, I've been trying to get one to do that fade in.. like the guitars do in the beginning of "Orion" it's turned out to be a challenge, even though I know the unit can do it (it does it on preset 9Cool..

I know there's no reverse reverb but, maybe this one sounds a bit like one or, absolutly not ?

thanks for your time.

I think he's talking about the volume swell effect. :)

• Members

Ok thanks DP,

only one question left : I got an old valvestate 8080, can I use the "return" input on the amp and so, use the Marshall as a "monitoring" speaker, and select amps modulations on the GSP when I want to "bypass" the marshall sound ?

Don't know if I make myself clear...

Archived