Soldano X99

• Members

So i've been doing a little research here and there, different preamps and such. And I have come across the Soldano X99 preamp and can't really find that much info on it. Does anybody here own this preamp, have any sound clips, can comment on the tone, how it works, etc. I've read some reviews, but not many. Have heard GREAT things about it, but would like to know more. So...what's this puppy all about?

• Members

username "Dave Simpson" has an X99 and a Bogner Fish in the same rig.

powered of course by 2 soldano monobloc 100's.

Good to know...but do you personally have any experience with the X99? And why do you say "powered of course by 2 soldano monobloc 100's"? Do you not think that a Soldano preamp will sound good with another power amp?

• Members

Good to know...but do you personally have any experience with the X99? And why do you say "powered of course by 2 soldano monobloc 100's"? Do you not think that a Soldano preamp will sound good with another power amp?

when I said "Of course powered by 2 monoblocs"

I meant, Dave has such a ridiculous set of preamps, he might as well power them with about $3200 worth of 8 rack space power amp while he's at it.

I'm never tried an X99, but supposedly, it's like 100 channels of the Soldano SLO sound. That sound isn't exactly my favorite, hence I play a CAE 3+ through a VHT 2150.

And, I'm sure the X99 would sound good through any good power amp.

• Members

One of my best friends has one. His live tones are as good as anybody I've ever heard. He powers it with a Mesa 20/20 into a home made 2x12 with the rack built in. He runs a TC G-Force for effects. He doesn't use a whole lot of gain, more indie type music but his lead tones cut through very well. You can check out the live, video on the top of their myspace page. The studio recordings on their page were done with Fender Twins before he got the Soldano. You can see some glimpses of the Soldano in his video.

http://www.myspace.com/thefollowusa

• Members

How is the CAE preamp? I've heard some pretty great things. How many channels is it? What kind of sound characteristics?

CAE 3+

cae1.jpg

3 channels

ch1; stellar clean up to a nice medium gain, bright or mellow

ch2; fairly high gain, sounds like Megadeth Youthanasia

ch3; really high gain, I'd call it modern.

The one I own was owned by Steve Stevens and used on the VInce Neil - Exposed record.

Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, Steve Lukather, Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Mike Landou, Steve Stevens, etc. have all recorded and toured with the CAE 3+ at one time or another.

It's a stellar preamp.

• Members

CAE 3+

3 channels

ch1; stellar clean up to a nice medium gain, bright or mellow

ch2; fairly high gain, sounds like Megadeth Youthanasia

ch3; really high gain, I'd call it modern.

The one I own was owned by Steve Stevens and used on the VInce Neil - Exposed record.

Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, Steve Lukather, Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Mike Landou, Steve Stevens, etc. have all recorded and toured with the CAE 3+ at one time or another.

It's a stellar preamp.

Is it MIDI compatible? I use an FCB1010 foot controller...could I switch the channels with this? Also, what do you use as a solo boost? Is there an option for that on the actual preamp?

• Members

Is it MIDI compatible? I use an FCB1010 foot controller...could I switch the channels with this? Also, what do you use as a solo boost? Is there an option for that on the actual preamp?

Hey LIVEtoROCK86,

You'll have to get a MIDI switching system for the CAE 3+ since it has analog inputs to switch channels. The Bradshaw or Axess Electronics CFX-4 is something you should consider. You can switch channels & effects with the FCB1010 with the Axess Electronics CFX-4. The 3rd channel is the lead channel so there is no need for a solo boost.

Guitar George

• Members

Does anybody have any sound clips of the Soldano or CAE? I've been using Rocktron {censored} for too long and I've found myself starting to dislike the digital type of sound it gets. Good preamps, but not great...then again I've only used the Prophesy and Chameleon 2000. I'm looking for a very rich and saturated tone...similar to Warren DeMartini, but a little more agressive.

• Members

AAAHH! Nobody is saying anything....I really want to know more about the Soldano X99. I read some reviews here on HC but there are only 12 and they all praise this amp. But there could be some negative things about it...nothing is perfect. So anybody want to comment more on the sound quality/tonal characteristics? Anyone have sound clips? Any info about this preamp would be greatly appreciated!

• Members

AAAHH! Nobody is saying anything....I really want to know more about the Soldano X99. I read some reviews here on HC but there are only 12 and they all praise this amp. But there could be some negative things about it...nothing is perfect. So anybody want to comment more on the sound quality/tonal characteristics? Anyone have sound clips? Any info about this preamp would be greatly appreciated!

Well, almost no one has one... they're extremely rare and they're a 2500-3000 preamp, dude.

As far as I know it's basically the SLO's preamp with motorized pots. They used motorized pots so they could make it programmable but keep active components like OP-Amps etc out of the signal path. Read the SLO reviews. That'll give some ideas about how the preamp sounds coupled with the power section of the SLO. Those won't be all positive I'm sure.

Buy one and report back here! ;)

• Members

Daaamn, just saw one on eBay for 2,600....holy crap! WAAAYYYY expensive. I've heard great things, but is it THAT great? I really wanna find a clear, chunky, saturated tone with just enough mids to cut through really well...the Prophesy gets me there sort of, kinda digital sometimes though. I really want that tube warmth.

• Members

I have a Soldano X99. I love it, it's got all the features and abilities you can ask for. Your preamp is THE MOST important component of your rack, that's why people are willing to spend an arm and a leg.

I've been using exclusively Soldano for 6 years now. I cannot find anything that matches up. Plus, the guys at Soldano have THE BEST customer support you'll find. I'm a soldano user and I'm never looking back.

I'm a touring musician and I've actually moved out of my rack for touring and into the SLO-100 Head. I still use my rack for recording and studio work, but I'm looking to sell some stuff.

I've got the hard to find Soldano x99 in SUPERB condition. I'd be willing to sell it to you for $2200 +shipping/insurance.

Any takers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Soldano X99. I love it, it's got all the features and abilities you can ask for. Your preamp is THE MOST important component of your rack, that's why people are willing to spend an arm and a leg.

I've been using exclusively Soldano for 6 years now. I cannot find anything that matches up. Plus, the guys at Soldano have THE BEST customer support you'll find. I'm a soldano user and I'm never looking back.

I'm a touring musician and I've actually moved out of my rack for touring and into the SLO-100 Head. I still use my rack for recording and studio work, but I'm looking to sell some stuff.

I've got the hard to find Soldano x99 in SUPERB condition. I'd be willing to sell it to you for $2200 +shipping/insurance.

Any takers?

I would be. Is it really as good as it looks?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I too own the X99. It is as incredible as you've heard! Truly like having the option of 128 SLO-100's in one unit!

I just shared on another reply, that due to scaling my gear down I am selling some equipment. One of those will be my X99 (as I'm having to get a small combo with only a few pedals). I've done some looking and it seems the X99 is valued somewhere between $3400 to 3500. If you or anyone is interested let me know. If not, I'll probably keep the unit for studio use. Thanks!

• Members

Hey LIVEtoROCK86,

The Soldano/Caswell X-99 preamp was designed by Mike Soldano & Tim Caswell. It has the Soldano tube circuitry with the motorized pots controlled via MIDI. It is perhaps the most versatile, state of the art, guitar preamp ever built. Unfortunately, Soldano no longer produces this preamp so used prices are quite high for the X-99. Here is the website of Tim Caswell of Caswell Amplification:

http://caswellamps.studioelectronics.com/products.html

He has a programmable 100 watt amp head that sounds absolutely killer. He'll also mod a 100 watt Marshall amp head for his famous S.I.R. Stock M39 amp mod that George Lynch & Slash (Appetite For Destruction) used on their CDs. Tim Caswell is a genius and underrated amp modder that few people know about. Here is some of the Caswell amp's YouTube clips:

Guitar George

Archived