How do I get my Marshall JMP1 to....

• Members

Sorry about my lame attempt at humor. The Bogner is an all tube preamp and power amp. The JMP-1 is basically a programmable distortion stompbox where the two tubes contribute very little to the overall sound. The tubes contribute zero to the distortion.

Ain't gonna happen.

Jun

• Members

I have to disagree....I've tried different tubes in the jmp1 and they did change the tone of the preamp...even at the distortion level..I know the question was kind of dumb but just maybe someone out there had figured it out even if it was by mistake...you never know...

• Members

Take a look at this schematic:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp1-61-04.pdf

Your guitar signal starts at the top left. The distortion channel continues to the right while the clean channel branches off.

Those sideways triangles are ICs. Notice where it says gain control?

The ovals on the top far right are tubes. How many ICs does your guitar signal pass thru before it even sniffs a tube?

So you can't disagree with the JMP-1 = programmable distortion stompbox statement.

The tubes do contribute very little to the overall sound.

Jun

• Members

I guess so...but...my ears say no...tried JJ's, Groove and EH's...all 3 sound different...JJ's are my favs so far...ordered 2 from Doug's....not here for a debate...looking for that Bogner creamy hi gain.....as a working musician, the price tag is out of reach...even used....so I have to make the best of what I have....

• Members

Not that it will necessarily make your JMP1 sound more like a Bogner or any other amp, but spending a few bucks on a tube EQ of some kind might be beneficial. I use an ART DST-4 preamp that is just a glorified rack version of their Xtreme pedal/processor with a tube in the clean channel. I'd used an Xtreme with an ART Tube EQ unit to warm up the distortion in the past, and bought the Tube Channel EQ/mic pre/compressor combo unit when putting together a rack rig. The difference in tone was HUGE.

That's not to say that the ART stuff is the way to go - there are competing products that I simply haven't had a chance to try - but there are certainly some affordable options for improving on a preamp whose tubes aren't doing much good. Electro-Harmonix makes a pedal (also called the Tube EQ) and I believe Peavey used to have a rack unit called the Tube Sweetener.

Of course, it still won't be a Bogner.

• Members

Take a look at this schematic:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp1-61-04.pdf

Your guitar signal starts at the top left. The distortion channel continues to the right while the clean channel branches off.

Those sideways triangles are ICs. Notice where it says gain control?

The ovals on the top far right are tubes. How many ICs does your guitar signal pass thru before it even sniffs a tube?

So you can't disagree with the JMP-1 = programmable distortion stompbox statement.

The tubes do contribute very little to the overall sound.

Jun

Actually no, For a start if take the tubes out it doesnt work. I know I tried it.

Also Marshall have also told me that the tubes do have an effect on the sound, I contacted them with another issue and asked that question.

I run mine through an all tubel power amp, so even if that was the case its like boosting an 800, and that was good enough for so many players out there.

I can get mine to sound great. I guess I can play though :p

I hate tube snobs. :p

• Members

I guess so...but...my ears say no...tried JJ's, Groove and EH's...all 3 sound different...JJ's are my favs so far...ordered 2 from Doug's....not here for a debate...looking for that Bogner creamy hi gain.....as a working musician, the price tag is out of reach...even used....so I have to make the best of what I have....

I love JJ's in it too.

I recomend matching your JMP-1 with a great power amp.

It makes a world of difference.

• Members

I run mine through an all tubel power amp

:cop:

i dont get why people get so defensive when you're simply telling them a fact about the jmp1. if you get the sound you like, great. just dont expect other people to like it aswell

• Members

I hate tube snobs.
:p

This guy too.

:)

About This Video

MAB is using a Marshall JMP-1 and a Marshall valvestate (!), miked, off to the side of the stacks for this DVD.

Those are his Marshall stacks, used by him in concert but they were used in this program only as a backdrop

• Members

if i took out a bare metal piece of link wire in an audio path then the amp wouldnt work.

doesnt mean that its adding to the sound.

i dont think anyone claimed that the audio signal never goes through the valves, more that they have less of an impact on the overall sound than say with an all valve preamp.

:cop:

i dont get why people get so defensive when you're simply telling them a fact about the jmp1. if you get the sound you like, great. just dont expect other people to like it aswell

Actually no it doesnt work I tried.

Hahaha I was joking about the tube snob thing :wave:, Some people hit on the JMP-1 because they are Hybrids.

I will never get my JMP-1 to sound like a plexi (I can get closer than a moduler though), but a lot of people just slam them because its cool to do so. With a JMP-1 a good power amp is inportant as well as choosing a right cab and making sure its the sound your after.

Best advise to any one use your ear and decide for your self.

But hey what do I know I loved my old Marshall 8080.

• Members

The JMP-1 is a programmable distortion box and it sounds like one. It was the absolute worst MIDI preamp I tried.

1.Peavey Tubefex

2.Hughes & Kettner Access

3.Rocktron Piranha

4.JMP-1

I wonder how many people get mesmerized by the logo.

The three week that I did have it was a total waste of time trying to coax a decent sound out of it.

Of course if you talk to Marshall they're gonna say the tubes make a huge difference......but the schem doesn't lie.

Definitely let your ears decide.

Jun

• Members

The JMP-1 is a programmable distortion box and it sounds like one. It was the absolute worst MIDI preamp I tried.

1.Peavey Tubefex

2.Hughes & Kettner Access

3.Rocktron Piranha

4.JMP-1

I wonder how many people get mesmerized by the logo.

The three week that I did have it was a total waste of time trying to coax a decent sound out of it.

Of course if you talk to Marshall they're gonna say the tubes make a huge difference......but the schem doesn't lie.

Definitely let your ears decide.

Jun

Funny that because I get a great tone out of mine. and What is your hangup with the tubes in them any way?

I changed the tubes in mine and yes it did make a difference.

Every time the tubes dont make much difference, so what I can get a great sound??

Better than some other more expensive pre's

I really like the tone I can get from mine, so I will defend them.

I can get a really nice sound from mine.

Most of the time when I see a JMP-1 sounding {censored}, its dailed wrong treble set to 6 presence set to 6 mid set to -2 bass to 2, setting like this will sound bad.

Also the amount the signal is set to on the back switch make a difference.

-40db sounds better and then let the power. amp do the work.

I dont want to get in argument about this so I will say this.

If you dont like it fine, but people seam to Jump on every post and say :oh its {censored}e, without a good reason.

I really like mine, and over my 15 years plus of gigging I have owned a lot of amps.

• Members

Actually no it doesnt work I tried.

Hahaha I was joking about the tube snob thing
:wave:
, Some people hit on the JMP-1 because they are Hybrids.

I will never get my JMP-1 to sound like a plexi (I can get closer than a moduler though), but a lot of people just slam them because its cool to do so. With a JMP-1 a good power amp is inportant as well as choosing a right cab and making sure its the sound your after.

Best advise to any one use your ear and decide for your self.

But hey what do I know I loved my old Marshall 8080.

i know it wont work dammit! :mad:

my point was how much impact the valves have on the overall sound.

i dont have a problem with it being a hybrid, its all about the sound that comes out. i use a podxt in my rack along with other valve {censored}, i dont care its digital, it can sound great ;)

i used to have a jmp1 with an el34 100/100 through an orange 4x12. although it sounded good, it just wasnt my thing at all. i've heard some wicked good sounds from jmp1's.

i've lost my point now.

its friday.

i've finished work.

sexy time!

• Members

You're entitled to your opinion just as I am.

What other MIDI preamps have you tried?

Jun

I am talking about amps too, but pre's

Mesa Studio

H&K Access

H&K Tubeman (I still have, love the cleans)

Marshall 9004 I have now see pic

JMP-1

Amps

Marshall JMP

Marshall JCM 800 many types

Marshall JCM 900

Marshall JCM 2000 Dsl

Marshall 8080

Marshall VST

Mesa Dual rect

Laney GH50

Ashdown peacemaker

Sunn

Fender Twin

Line 6 Flextone 1 and 2

Trace Elliot

+ plus more owned by other bands and friends.

I still think I can get a good sound out off the JMP-1.

Some people like it. :p

• Members

i know it wont work dammit!
:mad:

my point was how much impact the valves have on the overall sound.

i dont have a problem with it being a hybrid, its all about the sound that comes out. i use a podxt in my rack along with other valve {censored}, i dont care its digital, it can sound great
;)

i used to have a jmp1 with an el34 100/100 through an orange 4x12. although it sounded good, it just wasnt my thing at all. i've heard some wicked good sounds from jmp1's.

i've lost my point now.

its friday.

i've finished work.

sexy time!

That is the best reply ever, cracked me up with the sexy time comment.

I am working 7am to 9pm tonight :cry:

But I get paid per hour as a contractor :thu: And have monday off:thu:

• Members

Get a Mesa Strategy 500 power amp for it.
;)
I got rid of a Triaxis because the rhythm tones couldn't keep up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ABY6AjzxCY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tRnnYfPIvYU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-iB6mYwu9Rs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WSJG86GCNOQ

Someone else who can use a JMP-1 :wave:

I do like my 9005 with JJ's in it, sound great even better when pushed.

Mesa stategy amps are far to expensive over here. :cry:

Archived