Anyone here use the Digitech Twin Tube GFX-1

• Members

I had one not that long ago, it was decent...usable...

Our singer at the time played rhythm guitar for a couple gigs and I set it up for him to use and it did fine.

In that same price range, you could get a Behringer V-Amp Pro, which was better and had good, usable effects...

• Members

A friend of mine that worked in a music store told me people kept bringing them back broken. Apparently the heat from the tubes was causing a failure in the circuitry. Due to the 1 rack space size of the case the heat can't dissipate fast enough. That was the original version so I don't know if they changed anything when they came out with the newer chrome faced version. The other thing that turned me off was the proprietary AC adapter. If that thing crapped out you would be screwed.

• Members

I own one and use it as my exclusive pre amp which I run into a marshall 9005.

The effects are seriously attrocious, terrible. The delay is ok. The distortion you have to mess around with and you can get a pretty good tone out of it (don't expect amazing tone however) I think I am going to replace the tubes soon. Something is gettting a lot of feedback in my chain, I don't know if its the unit, my cables, my pickup, etc. It also slightly clicks when changing channels.

However, I've bought TWO of them so take that for what it is worth. Awesome price for the 70$ I got it for (a midi controlled, two tube preamp). I think if people could mod them they'd be going for a lot more.

All I can say is that I like my sound.

• Members

I bought a gfx-1 sometime in the mid to late nineties, It was part of a rack setup that I bought which included a wireless unit, and a tubeworks Provalve power amp.

It didn't sound half bad, from what I can remember. Although I concur that the effects were crap. I got the setup for $250, all I really wanted was the power amp which was all tube 50 watts, designed by b.k. Butler (awsome power amp). I ended up trading it for something else since I already owned an mp1.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi

I have used the twin tube as my pre-amp for the last 15-18 years. To be truthful I don't know what I would do without it.

Last year I bought a Roland GT8 as a possible replacement for the twin tube- it did not come close to what I was looking for.

HELP - what would anyone recommend as a back 0up for the twin tube. We are both getting on a bit, I am not sure who will last the langer - me or the twin tube.

Peter

• Members

Hi

I have used the twin tube as my pre-amp for the last 15-18 years. To be truthful I don't know what I would do without it.

Last year I bought a Roland GT8 as a possible replacement for the twin tube- it did not come close to what I was looking for.

HELP - what would anyone recommend as a back 0up for the twin tube. We are both getting on a bit, I am not sure who will last the langer - me or the twin tube.

Peter

Why not just get another used one and store it somewhere save?

Then if your current one breaks you just take out the one you have as backup.

Archived