Gear insurance - how is yours?

grrrunge

• Members

So, i just went to my bank today to get my gear insured before taking it on the road again for the spring-tour.

To my surprise, they will only cover my losses by 10% in case the gear gets stolen from anywhere but my home adress unless it is covered by some kind of business-insurance, which is insanely expensive...

I've got a pile of gutars, amps and studio gear worth around $30K, and I - being a 22 year old student - can't afford to buy it all again, if it gets stolen, the studio burns down or whatever the {censored}e...

How is your gear insured, and how much does the insurance cost per year?

• Members

Why did you go to the bank for insurance

cause i'm a student - they have quite a cheap home-owner's insurance. That's how stuff works in Denmark...

anyways -i'll check out the local insurance companies tomorrow... $10 don't sound that bad. even though it might be around $30 a month in my case..

• Members

I don't know if it's available over there, but I've got all of my A/V equipment insured through the musicians union. Works out to around $700usd to insure $80,000 worth of equipment, although after last years aquisitions both of those numbers are definetely going to increase. HMK, you may want to investigate your coverage on your policy. When I tried to put my studio gear on that policy it was a major increase and had to be specifically covered and not just lumped in with the furniture. They also refused to cover anything that left the property. That had to be done by a different policy, hence the MU insurance. That's my experience anyway.

• Members

I don't know if it's available over there, but I've got all of my A/V equipment insured through the musicians union. Works out to around $700usd to insure $80,000 worth of equipment, although after last years aquisitions both of those numbers are definetely going to increase. HMK, you may want to investigate your coverage on your policy. When I tried to put my studio gear on that policy it was a major increase and had to be specifically covered and not just lumped in with the furniture. They also refused to cover anything that left the property. That had to be done by a different policy, hence the MU insurance. That's my experience anyway.

yeah - i found something similar. turns out i have to pay around $500/year for full coverage. It ain't that bad i think.

Archived